Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread:

Default Just picked up my first Blast, few problems

Just got a 2003 Blast, in pretty rough condition but still runs ok. Minor scratches and laid over on one side. 9000 miles. Started tearing into it the day I got it using the instructions from the forums that some of these regulars post on, fresh oil in crankcase and tranny, new denso racing plug (made a big difference, the old one looked horrible, covered in white corrosion looking stuff), new K&N filter, ran sea foam through the gas. Also got the super boot on the way already, since everybody recommended to get it as preventative maintenance anyways. The oil in the trans was horrible, and also had moisture in it by looking at the clutch plate cover, so will have to change that oil out again after a good long ride. I have a picture if i can figure out how to post it.
    After my first ride of more than 30 minutes, i've found a problem with the carb/air intake. When i throttle down, there is some hesitation before you feel full power, Also Gas is dripping out of the air box, i realized this after about 30 minutes of cruising around i could smell it, then see it on the belt cover. So went back into the garage and got the airbox off, revved it a few times and gas is definitely spitting/misting back out of the carb. I have no idea what the jet setting is, but that is the next thing i am going to check... It has a vance & hines exhaust so will get the 175 main jet if it isn't that already. I've read some that it could be caused my running too lean, But it doesn't make sense to me, that if its running too lean why would it spit gas back out the carb into the air box.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tranny2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	3341Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tranny1.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	3342

Reversion - pick up a 45 primary jet as well - stock AF is wildly lean - check also that your float is set correctly, as for the lag - shim needle with 2 #4 washers - should help a lot. Welcome!!!
    EZ

Thanks for the quick response, I should have the jets and boot by Thursday and will update results after I ride it for a bit and get some more fresh gas through it, weather permitting of course, im in Kansas and one day it will be 50 and the next could be -10. Talk about bad timing to buy a new bike.
    But a question on shimming the needle... I read on another forum that shim should be around .050 , or just below , and that 2 #6 polished brass washers would get me what i need. Is the #4 washers what you recommend based on my bike setup?

If you have any trouble locating the #4 brass washers, send me a PM and I will give you my mailing address. If you send me a self addressed stamped envelope I will send you a half dozen of the washers.

Welcome,

Kenny G

Machined/spec.ed #6 washers would work, but regular would not, therefor since all #4 will work, we recommend the #4. Two will put you right in that area you mentioned - give or take a couple hundred - lol
    EZ

The Boss
    (Admin)

#6 washers are .03" thick. They'll work in a pinch, but try to get .05" exactly.
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:
    2003 Blast (Blue), 2001 XBlast (Rex), 2007 XB9R Firebolt (Bolt)

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

Welcome to the forum .. Enjoy ...

By the looks of that nasty clutch cover when you dump that oil fill with some cheap dino 20-50w i'd run an dump that also then fill with a good synthetic.

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your SuperBoot purchase!
    Dan

"My Ride Pics - 501CR"
    http://buellridersonline.com/forum/m...mpe/albums/39/

"Dan's Price List" Click on the link:
    http://buellridersonline.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=7730

Click here to enlarge

(845) 341-7274 Call or Text

Thanks for all the help and advice. Just checked the tracking and ill have the new boot and Jet today. (thanks for the fast shipping Dan) I don't think i'll have a problem getting the washers, we have a Fastenal store and they should have some. It's suppose to get up to 50 on Sunday so should be able to get a few hours on it so I can change the trans oil again.
    Once I get all the kinks out,some new tires, and the paint touched up, I'd like to put Dan's whole intake system on it. What carb settings do you recommend with it and V&H exhaust

The Boss
    (Admin)

I agree with Dan's idea regarding the trans fluid. Put something in there for a couple/few heat cycles to help wash out the moisture and crap. Then fill with the nice Mobil 1 20-50 Synthetic (or Amsoil).
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:
    2003 Blast (Blue), 2001 XBlast (Rex), 2007 XB9R Firebolt (Bolt)

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!