Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread:

I wish I would of gotten a pic of the drain plug after I got it out, it made me cringe. I've already wasted a quart of the good stuff in there, it was all i had at the time and wanted to get it changed so I could go ride. I bought a case of that Mobil 1 20-50 from all the good reviews I saw on the boards. I plan on running it in my XR400 too, hoping that I can get more life out of it than I do the Lucas oil.

With the airbox cover off, you'll always get a little bit of reversion through the carb - that's normal. However, it should *not* be dripping out or puddling! As EZ suggested, double check the float height while you've got the bowl cover off - if it's wrong, then it'll mess all sorts of things up! While you have the airbox off, you should consider the internal baffle mods that a lot of us have done, it helps airflow a little bit too!

As for the primary, it looks like a lot of moisture may have gotten in there. Definitely run it for a few heat cycles (maybe two tanks of gas worth) and then change it again. Luckily it doesn't take much, so it won't break the bank if you put the expensive stuff in it!

Aside from that, have fun!

XDX,

Fastenal doesn't stock anything brass as small as #4 or #6, neither does Hobby Lobby, Lowe's or Home Depot. ACE hardware may have them and almost any independent Hobby Shop that has R/C planes and cars will have the #4 washers. I ordered mine from Amazon, 100 of them was $3.00 and if you have Amazon Prime you will have them in 2 days.

Kenny G

Quote Originally Posted by KennyG View Post
    XDX,

Fastenal doesn't stock anything brass as small as #4 or #6, neither does Hobby Lobby, Lowe's or Home Depot. ACE hardware may have them and almost any independent Hobby Shop that has R/C planes and cars will have the #4 washers. I ordered mine from Amazon, 100 of them was $3.00 and if you have Amazon Prime you will have them in 2 days.

Kenny G
    Some Lowes and Home Depot stock #4 and #6 brass washers. I bought a whole baggie of #6's at my local Lowes. It was in a section of pre-bagged stock, I think branded with the Hillman name.

Quote Originally Posted by KennyG View Post
    XDX,

Kenny G
    You were right on Kenny... I found some at the only other local hardware store "Hardware Hank" . 18 cents for the pair, ha.

XDX,

What has happened here in North Texas, and many other places around the country, is that the big box stores have shoved the little independent hardware stores out of business. The little hardware stores always seemed to have what you needed to get most anything fixed. My Lowe's and Home Depot did not have the small brass washers and there are no longer any small model airplane stores here. I use Amazon for almost everything I buy anymore.

The local Harley dealer here, American Eagle Harley Davidson, is very Buell friendly and stocks a lot of Blast parts. What they don't have they can get in about 4 days. Fortunately Harley dealers will always be here and not go the way of the hardware stores.

Kenny G

Same thing happening here, i'm in a small town, so the closest Lowe's or Home depot is over an hour away, but when the Fastenal came to town the local Ace Hardware went out of business/lost their affiliation with Ace, and the other small one had to change to a Hardware Hank brand. Then to make things worse WalMart opened up a Super Walmart in a town about 15 miles away, so that has made our good ol fashioned main street businesses disappear. I'm an amazon prime guy too, if I could buy booze from amazon or Ebay, i'd never have to shop again in my life

So i finally got around to tearing out the carb and replacing the boot with the superboot. Looked like there was a little bit of leakage from the stock boot. I was the first one to take apart this carb in its lifetime. The jet's were at 42/170. I shimmed the needle with 2 #4 brass washers, and put in the 175 jet. I didn't know the it came with a 42 jet, so had to order the 45, went ahead and ordered a 48 also cuz I plan on gettin Dan's intake on it this spring/summer.
    Got everything back together, and it seems like it rev's up a bit more smooth and no backfires, i didn't feel like taking it on a quick ride, it was 10 degree and 50mph winds. Suppose to be 60 on Sunday so will get plenty of riding in to see if it's still dripping gas out the airbox. Gotta love this Kansas weather

Awesome! It's the reversion that causes the gas to drip out of the airbox, don't know if the bigger jets will help or hurt, but a leaky boot can cause all sorts of issues!

Glad it's back together!
    Last edited by piratius; 01-17-2014 at 07:39 PM.

Oh, if you eventually swap to Dans custom intake, you can change jetting without pulling the carb off!