Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread:

Unhappy 08 XB12R Missing and Popping

Just bought an 08 XB12R ont he 8th, took delivery ont eh 9th, and it's been rainy as hell since. Finally today was an absolutely beautiful day, woke up early hoping to break her in and do the first 200 miles or so.

I had it started the other day when it first came in, started great, sounded perfect. Had it on for maybe 5mins or so. Anyway, this morning I started her up and it started sputtering, backfiring, and missing horribly. Needless to say it ruined my plans for the day and put me into a shitty mood. Called the dealer and they're going to pick it up tomorrow afternoon.

Does anyone have any idea why it's doing this? The bike hasn't moved from the back porch since it was delivered. Really disheartening to have a problem like this with 7 miles on it.

check this out man ..... ive been reading the forums and so far this is what ive found http://www.buellforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26

The first week I had mine, it did the same thing a couple times. I really think it's just got something to do with the engine breaking in. It was sputtery and crappy sounding while it was warming up, I just got on it and rode a few miles and it went away. It hasn't done anything unusual since that first week. Reading about other guys who had similar concers, I'm convinced it's just the computer chip in the engine working itself out. You can't mass-produce and sell $10,000 motorcycles that don't run. I say ride it, break it in, and see if it doesn't fix itself. Mine did. Oh, and hey man, what color did you go with?

alright guys well i regret to say mine does the same thing.... easiest way to avoid this shit is start it up a couple minutes before you take off or dont start it up at all. hahaha i know that sounds harsh but im a firm beleiver that the bike is just loading up. go out one day start it up and crack the throttle a few times and then shut it down. i bet that she wont start or will choke the whole time.... i have had my plugs out a few times already cleaning them. ever since i learned my lesson i havnt had a single problem with fouling or the bike sputtering when riding or idleing.

Sounds like fowled plugs. Really need to ride these bikes, not just start and idle them. Should also check into ECMSPY for future options.
    Joe

7. Default

I have to respectfully be different! I bought mine brand spankin' shiny new, and it's run absolutely perfect since I rode away from the dealership. Seriously, never a pop, backfire, hesitation, nothing.

That is Buell man. You can't just start it up for the hell of it for 5 minutes and shut it off. Those things foul plugs easily on these motors. If you are going to start it up make sure you are going to take it for a ride. Mine is an 03 and it is running like crap right now and I don't know why. It could be the $1.49plugs I had to put in it because that was all I could find at the time. I need to drop the bike off for Fork Seals anyway. Once I get it back from that I will do new plugs, oil change on everything and I should be good to go. I don't have to worry though I have another bike to ride incase one doesn't run good.

ugghhhhh ..... guys ..... im gettin nervous about picking one up ........ i was looking at the 2008 xb12r

11. Default

Like I said, that's what I have. No problems. At all. Over 1000 miles on it now. Not a cough, hiccough, backfire, sniff, snort, poo, gasp, wicky wicky, honk honk, nothing. Just miles and miles of good running bike!

Quote Originally Posted by rex4x4 View Post
    ugghhhhh ..... guys ..... im gettin nervous about picking one up ........ i was looking at the 2008 xb12r
    no worries bud.... dont be nervous about buying an xb, they are a great bike. to cure this problem is just simple maintenance and a well spirited ride (hard ride) to clean it out and its perfect. i havnt had the problem since i cured my bad habits of starting it up and reving it for people. but i will admit they are harsh on plugs but fun as hell when it comes to ridding.