Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread:

2. Default NRHS 515cc kit install prep tips and hardware needed?

I had a catastrophic detonation failure today. So I purchased a 515kit from NRHS. I am sending the head to him for treatment as it looks like a disaster at the moment. For those that have done it. What will I need that doesn't come with the kit?

• Top end gasket set?
    • Exhaust gasket
    • assembly lube?

Any special tools? I have never done this, so I do not have ring tools, etc. I do have a compression tester =) Thanks for your help fellas! I sure it is a couple weeks away from installation, but I want to be prepared.

The Boss
    (Admin)
  4. Default

Oil
    Assembly Lube
    Head gasket (1)
    Base gasket (1)
    Pushrod cover lower gasket (1)
    Pushrod cover o-rings (2)
    Rocker box to head lower gasket (1)
    Rocker box cover outer gasket (1)
    Rocker box cover inner gasket (1)
    Piston ring expander (1)
    Piston ring compressor (1)
    FSM (1)

Have everything looked over by your favorite machine shop. Don't trust it to be round.

I didn't use the ring expander/compressor, I just lipped the rings onto the piston, then lipped them into the jug. I would advise against my method unless you're experienced at installing pistons into bores.
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:
    2003 Blast (Blue), 2001 XBlast (Rex), 2007 XB9R Firebolt (Bolt)

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

6. Default

Yeah I had my local shop hone my cylinder when I bought my second one when it was new cause the first one was so bad when I got it checked after a seasons of use (was upgrading my head so I got it checked then and surprize) Then some how my intake valve got bent on my nrhs stage 2 head, still dont know how other than when I had my local guy install the intake valve and make sure it was all good he said he had to cut the seat out to make it right! That tells me they scewed up the inital seat cut they made to install the bigger seats for the bigger valves!

I hope you have a better experience with them but I have my doubts sorry. Make sure you ask what your getting cause what they advertise is incorrect to what youll receive, just a fair warnning

8. Default

Thanks brother! I worried about your experience.

10. Default

Ok so you were paying attention when I was going through it all lol

I do have to say shes running strong now I had her pulling wheelies in second, with a little help of course but its running much better now that I have had the time to dial it in some more but I think Ill be on a dyno soon here if I can help it cause Im very cusious on the results at this point.

Im sure youll be pleased once shes all back and running again and my experience was a fluke of some new guy cutting my seats at the wrong angle lol

12. Default

Break in? how to?

The Boss
    (Admin)
  14. Default

Break it in like you intend to ride it, imho.

After my XB install, it was hitting the 7.5k limiter within a minute.

Others like to do the heat-cycle thing. If built correctly, I really don't think it matters with the alloys/metals used in todays engines.
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

16. Default

This time, second build I did do it pretty close to the Nrhs break in but also used hammer perf instruction sheet cause its so much better.
    I just run it rich for a bunch of miles and use non synthetic oil for the first 50 or what ever you feel is good. I did a few heat cycles this time before I rode it but last time I started it a rode it right away with no real issues.

18. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jet-Lee View Post
    Break it in like you intend to ride it, imho.

After my XB install, it was hitting the 7.5k limiter within a minute.

Others like to do the heat-cycle thing. If built correctly, I really don't think it matters with the alloys/metals used in todays engines.
    Lee were talking you know who's cylinders lol

The Boss
    (Admin)
  20. Default

Quote Originally Posted by stang181 View Post
    Lee were talking you know who's cylinders lol
    Doh!

Let it idle for about a week first.

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:

Like us on Facebook!