Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread:

I hope I can shift the damn thing now with the new settings. I want to ride it again. With extreme prejudice.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    I hope I can shift the damn thing now with the new settings. I want to ride it again. With extreme prejudice.
    Yeah, it's much improved already. With the drop peg mounts it'll be better. You'll still look ridiculous on it, but at least you should be able to change gears.

6. Default

Mik, do you remember how long the length of 1x2" tubing was per side pre-cut? Interested in all the different options for making rearsets, and am probably going to try a few different ones in the next month or two while it's too cold to ride!

I also may mess around with a different style peg, but just wondering if you have a few more details before I go crazy and start cutting (and all the info helps fellow blastards).

-Brad

8. Default

I don't recall offhand, but I did it to fit where I wanted my feet and the projected path of my exhaust. I'll go measure to get you close.

About 9 inches long total. My tape measurer has gone missing so I just guessed based on my hand width.

10. Default

Awesome. If I made them a little longer, they'd move the riding position down & back slightly. I'll probably order 24" of steel and go from there.

I'm also going to cut up some stock Y arms - I figure I'll try a few different rearsets and see what I like best - it's not like my Wife wants to ride with me (she has no interest) so it doesn't matter if I lose the passenger pegs or not!

-Brad

12. Default

Just an update, as you can imagine it's not super comfortable for extended periods. I was ok with it until I got my XB and I suddenly found how comfortable a bike *can* be. I also want my wife to be able to ride it so I'll be re-engineering the peg hangers. I had certain constraints when building originally because of how I wanted to route my exhaust. What I'll be doing is getting more of the same box tubing (3/32" wall, 1x2" rectangle) and cutting about a 5" long section that will be welded perpendicular to the base of the current hangers. The box tubing will be pointing down and forward. I'll then relocate the pegs, shifter, brake, etc down to match. It'll move the pegs outward from centerline obviously 1", and down/forward about 3" each. That'll let my legs un bend quite a bit (I hope).
    Last edited by mik; 01-11-2014 at 03:41 PM.

14. Default

I haven't gotten any further, but now that I have a bad front tire on the blast I can take it down for work. I'm going to try to emulate my sTT seat to peg distance on the blast. I really love the ergonomics of the sTT. This is gonna be sweet!

In one of the above replies I mentioned something about not liking to hump the tank, as it turns out that's how I ride it now. Much more responsive in the turns. However, because of how my legs are tucked, I don't have much weight on my feet so it's all on my junk or my forearms. This extra weight on my handlebars makes it extra darty and twitchy. I really look forward to being able to have weight on my feet so I can actually let the handlebars be for steering, not support.
    Last edited by mik; 01-11-2014 at 03:35 PM.

16. Default

I measured my xb12stt peg to seat height vertically as approximately 19". The seated position on the stt is right above the pegs, it's quite nice.

My current blast pegs are 14" and the pegs are pretty far back if I'm humping the tank.

With my 5.5" peg extensions down that gives a peg to seat height of 17" and the pegs are slightly back of seat.

If I do a 1/2" width spacer to the hanger legs I can make the legs 7.5" which gives me a peg height of 18". I'm not sure that extra 1" height is worth the extra 1" of width I would get.

I measured the inside of the peg contact area (where the arch of your foot might be) on the sTT to be 17". The outer face of the blast's setup would be 17" with that 1/2" spacer I mentioned above, but the boomerang shifter and the hinge in the actual pegs makes it another 1" wide. I'm not sure how wide I want my legs splayed, but then they're already splayed due to the tank.

I'm waiting to hear back from Levi on what his peg height is. I'm also interested in other people's rear set peg heights.

18. Default

I do know that the Crossroads and 1125 bikes have a very similar position - It was one of the first things my friends noted and commented on.
    EZ