Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread:

2. Default

Coolest running HD product made and we want to make it cooler- that's cool! Especially for distance touring.
    EZ

Mechanic
  4. Default

I would like to take my blast through the 'pageantry circuit' this year at all the custom bike shows that I normally attend. With all the hot rodding I have done to it I started to get a little concerned that it might run a bit hot when going the distance. At first I just thought I would only take it to those shows that were within an or hour two striking distance, but thought, why not just get it running cool so it can make the distance? With most of my bikes being liquid cooled they have no problem with distance.

My two concerns were that it retained heat when it needed it, hence the thermo valve (don't want it cold). And that it can keep cool when stationary.

My bikes also see plenty of cold weather, so for some of the year it will need to bypass the cooler. The other concern was over heating when I am forced to slow down. Last year on my way to a bike show there was an accident and traffic was backed up for dozens of miles going into Chicago and all the Harleys were pulled over on the side of the road due to heat but my Honda just cycled on and off and was happy as could be. If that situation were to happen again, I want a fan on the cooler so I don't have to be moving in order to keep cool.

So all in all, I decided to go the safe route. Best to be prepared for the worst, than find it unexpectedly.
    Last edited by pierce; 04-26-2012 at 08:50 AM.

Mechanic
  6. Default

Thump-E, where did the pics go?

Hey Jet, could have the pics been lost for this thread?

8. Default

I have this one I am going to install for the same reason!Attachment 339

The Boss
    (Admin)
  10. Default

I need to add one of these to mine.

Quote Originally Posted by pierce View Post
    Hey Jet, could have the pics been lost for this thread?
    Only if they were attached.
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:
    2003 Blast (Blue), 2001 XBlast (Rex), 2007 XB9R Firebolt (Bolt)

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

Mechanic
  12. Default

Its actually a very affordable thing to add, even with a t-stat valve. There is no need to high tech and wire in a thermostat valve to the battery and drain power. I think its much more economical to go with a bypass valve. One, because they are mechanical, they are nearly indestructible, and two they are like a 1/3rd of the price. I haven't found a solution for the fan, but as soon as I figure it out I will post it.

The Boss
    (Admin)
  14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by pierce View Post
    I haven't found a solution for the fan, but as soon as I figure it out I will post it.
    What about CPU or case fans for a computer? Very low voltage requirement.
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:
    2003 Blast (Blue), 2001 XBlast (Rex), 2007 XB9R Firebolt (Bolt)

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

16. Default

I got that one on flea bay for $25 its a lock hart too. It was chrome around the outter edges but I powder coated it lol

Mechanic
  18. Default

I sure wish I had the pictures. What lines go to what? I am sure I could look this up in the manual, but it would certainly help seeing what Thump-E did.

Stang (or anyone else - Jet?), do you know what line(s) are used in the install? Pics would greatly help ....

20. Default

If you read through lol he says the top line coming off the pump with the 90 fitting on it is the return. Cut that line or remove it frome the pump and use those two connections for the cooler. I was going to crank the motor over to verify thats right when I install it which I have no idea when Im going to get it done