Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread:

Default Bonehead mistakes to look out for

So apparently, I'm an idiot. 2 days ago, my blast died on me as I was riding down the street. Couldn't figure out the reason because it sounded like it died from fuel starvation, but when I pulled to the side of the road, I shook the bike and could hear gas in the tank. Being a noobie to riding, I had no idea about the reserve fuel and proceeded to run the battery dead trying to get it started again so I could get to work. Once I walked my bike to work, my friends and I had a big laugh as they showed me the reserve switch and the bike started right up with a jump. Next, I took out the battery and put it on the charger we have at work for our ground equipment. Didn't know that a 12v 60 amp charge would fry the battery, I thought it would just charge faster.

So, now that I've got these mistakes under my belt, are there any other bonehead mistakes I should be aware of so I can avoid them?

The Boss
    (Admin)
  3. Default

check/fill oil ONLY after 1/2 hour ride.

ditch dunlops if you haven't already.

Get galfer brakes pads and don't grab brakes too hard.

Make sure it's in neutral before letting out the clutch in a parking lot. (done that more than once)

Make sure kickstand is up before riding off.

Make sure kickstand is down before setting it down.

If it doesn't start, check kill switch.

Cancel blinker after turn.

lol...I'm guilty of all of these.
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:
    2003 Blast (Blue), 2001 XBlast (Rex), 2007 XB9R Firebolt (Bolt)

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

5. Default

Me too lee lol too funny!! I pulled in a gas station next to my friend thought i put the kick stand down but it was only half way down and down I went! I was so umbarased as I never thought I would do that but here's your sign!! Lol I have done all those mistakes other than the gas reserve being left on.

Jet Lee, I'm guilty of a few of those already too. I almost dropped the bike 3 or 4 times already forgetting to put the kick stand down and I've only owned the bike for a few weeks.

As far as the dunlops, I've seen a lot in this forum stating that they are garbage and unsafe. Just how unsafe are we talking here? I plan on getting rid of them soon regardless, but I just rode home from work tonight in the rain and I had good stopping, acceleration and turning for how I ride. But then again, my riding experience totals about 3 weeks now and I ride the bike like my 80 yr old grandma would if she owned a bike lol.

The Boss
    (Admin)
  8. Default

If all I had was dunlops on my Blast, and my car wasn't running, I would call in to work and have some diablo's overnighted.
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

Lol, I guess it's new tires before the performance mods for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet-Lee View Post
    check/fill oil ONLY after 1/2 hour ride.

ditch dunlops if you haven't already.

Get galfer brakes pads and don't grab brakes too hard.

Make sure it's in neutral before letting out the clutch in a parking lot. (done that more than once)

Make sure kickstand is up before riding off.

Make sure kickstand is down before setting it down.

If it doesn't start, check kill switch.

Cancel blinker after turn.

lol...I'm guilty of all of these.

Yeah, guilty of all of these as well!

I've run the dunlops down to the wear belts, they aren't that bad. If they hold air I'll ride them. I don't think the pirelli is all that much better than the dunlops to be honest with you. I haven't used the diablos though, maybe next tire change if I ever get the punky back together.

The Boss
    (Admin)
  13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ratblast View Post
    I've run the dunlops down to the wear belts, they aren't that bad. If they hold air I'll ride them. I don't think the pirelli is all that much better than the dunlops to be honest with you. I haven't used the diablos though, maybe next tire change if I ever get the punky back together.
    Really? If you haven't used the Diablo's, then please don't comment on them.

ANYTHING is better than the Dunlops. This isn't theory speaking, it's experience.

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:

Like us on Facebook!

15. Default

Lee I think he is talking about the stock size pirelli's not the over sized diablo's. I do agree with you that anything is better than the dunlops. Especially if you have rearset's and dive into corner's like I do lol. Those dunlop's are junk junk junk and that's all there is to it