Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread:

Commuter
  2. Default What is the terminal velocity of a Blast?

I might find out, because I'm about 1 problem away from pushing it off a tall bridge.

So... the bike has already been finiky about when it wants to start and whether it wants to run right or not. Sometimes was fine, other times it would backfire, suddenly loose power, and backfire again, then MAYBE run OK again for a while... then the cycle continues. It seems that this would happen primarily on the highway when riding at a constant speed (65 or 70 ish). Then I would park and it wouldn't start again for a few hours. Caused me a lot of grief one day on my lunch break.

A few days ago, I'm on my way home from work and the bike is running just fine, then POW! Backfire, stumble, die... on a two lane road with no shoulder, going uphill, in rush hour traffic with a line of cars behind me. I had to push / coast it the rest of the way home. Luckily I was close and it was mostly downhill.

Fast forward to yesterday. I've been driving the car and trying not to think of my worthless two-wheeled hunk of metal in the garage. I get home from work and there's a tail light bulb out, no big deal- change that, then the car wont start. Battery is dead! As luck (or lack thereof) would have it, I have a night class starting in 15 minutes and my wife is gone with the other car.

As a last resort I get out the 'ol blast and it fires right up, no problem! Even more suprisingly, the dinky little battery in there apparently has enough balls to jump a V8!

So, boot is fine, spark plug is new, spark plug wire is new, safeties disabled, all connections are solid. My thoughts are either jetting or ignition? I don't really want to spend another $150 on this thing just to find out it's still a POS though...

Ideas / thoughts?

Commuter
  4. Default

Also would like to add that the primary is adjusted properly, grounds have been sanded and tightened, there is no rips or tears in the carb's diaphram.

And when I take off the airbox cover, I find that it is wet with gasoline, making me think it must be running rich?

Could be, but I would gamble it is the ignition module. You could have been flooding it trying to start it.
    Mine did the same things at the first onset of a problem, ran, backfired, sudden momentary power loss and/or throttle response, until it got hot. Then it would shut down and refused to start until it had sat all night.

I hated spending the money on an ignition module, too. But at the rate I was going replacing things just to avoid that large expense, I was heading for the cost of one anyway.

I am given to understand that this problem often presents itself in older models (mine is a 2001).

Quote Originally Posted by AWDV8 View Post
    As a last resort I get out the 'ol blast and it fires right up, no problem! Even more suprisingly, the dinky little battery in there apparently has enough balls to jump a V8!
    Seriously? I wouldn't have even thought of it. To be honest, I can't believe you got the jumpers to fit on those little screws.

8. Default

if its a 2002 or younger, it could well be the ignition, try replacing the jets - they could be glazed with gunk - quick and easy and cheap to do - a thought - bad ignition switch - any codes being thrown by the ignition?
    EZ

The Boss
    (Admin)
  10. Default

I'm dreading the day my ignition takes a crap on my 2001, but it's a known problem and I know the day is coming.

I'd start there.
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:
    2003 Blast (Blue), 2001 XBlast (Rex), 2007 XB9R Firebolt (Bolt)

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

Commuter
  12. Default

EZ- the jets are new, so although possible, unlikely that's the problem.

How do I check for codes?

Otherwise, yes, it's a 2002 so I might just have to bite the bullet and get the ignition module.

The Boss
    (Admin)
  14. Default

what size jets do you have in it?
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:
    2003 Blast (Blue), 2001 XBlast (Rex), 2007 XB9R Firebolt (Bolt)

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by AWDV8 View Post
    EZ- the jets are new, so although possible, unlikely that's the problem.

How do I check for codes?

Otherwise, yes, it's a 2002 so I might just have to bite the bullet and get the ignition module.
    You might still give them a blast from the carb cleaner. I got new jets and they turned out to be gummed up straight from the baggie.

17. Default

press button, turn key - continuing to press button, if something of some ignition problems pop up, it will flash a code - the whole procedre is in the manual, and pasted here somewhere.
    EZ