Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread:

A valid point, however, it is simply a matter of personal style and opinion such as the seat. Some like it high, some like it low. Some people don't want or need an air box mod, but for those who are looking for maximum air flow (and possibly efficiency) and wish to remove the air box, the K&N is simply nowhere near the best anymore in regards to airflow and economy. The air filter alone cost $50+ and a modded intake can be made for about $30 (more or less generally depending on the filter itself.)
    As far as foot pegs tho i never carry a passenger and aren't looking to pick up any women on it, i have one (maybe, were toughing out some rough areas right now.) but i hope i dont need to put them back on. If you havent already, take one off and see how heavy they are....multiply by two.....and now four. Thats a good chunk of weight.

FYI, aluminum ones are featherweight by comparison, i have some at home from the XB9R, however they dont attach line the stock ones do, i just need a different pin to hold it on there with, or just rig up something of my own.

Renamed

Air Splitter and a Low Seat for SAFETY

You will find splitter mods under "Show Me Your Mods" thread ... have fun!

I absolutely DO WANT the Short Seat ... it is not about speed ... it is about having better handling with a lower center of gravity and that might just save your Kester in a dicey situation. The lower I can get my 215 pounds the better. I am fine on the low seat at 6'-2" but Will Mod the low seat and handlebar for comfort . This is about better handling which translates to better SAFETY ... I don't compromise when it comes to safety.

I agree. I was merely stating my opinion about the airbox.

However, low set is not a good idea for anyone. Its just ergonomics. It's not best option. Just learn to ride with a bit taller seat and your entire body will thank you.

As you wish! You are the Captain! I am a mere civilian.

Renamed

Rude Comments Not Appreciated or Appropriate

Quote Originally Posted by 25PSi View Post
    As you wish! You are the Captain! I am a mere civilian.
    Dear 25PSI ... your rude comments are not appreciated ... further, this thread is about Intake Filters and Not seat height ... you're welcome for where to find splitter mods. Please keep your comments civil or at least in good humor in the future! Our purpose here is to share information about the Blast and there is certainly room for differing opinions and even humor ... but I for one think that rude and insulting comments are quite uncalled for.

Renamed

$50 for a Horse! Where can I sign-up for this program?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick James View Post
    A valid point, however, it is simply a matter of personal style and opinion such as the seat. Some like it high, some like it low. Some people don't want or need an air box mod, but for those who are looking for maximum air flow (and possibly efficiency) and wish to remove the air box, the K&N is simply nowhere near the best anymore in regards to airflow and economy. The air filter alone cost $50+ and a modded intake can be made for about $30 (more or less generally depending on the filter itself.)
    As far as foot pegs tho i never carry a passenger and aren't looking to pick up any women on it, i have one (maybe, were toughing out some rough areas right now.) but i hope i dont need to put them back on. If you havent already, take one off and see how heavy they are....multiply by two.....and now four. Thats a good chunk of weight.

FYI, aluminum ones are featherweight by comparison, i have some at home from the XB9R, however they dont attach line the stock ones do, i just need a different pin to hold it on there with, or just rig up something of my own.
    Hey Rick

I have every intention of carrying both a passenger and substantial cargo too. My purpose in owning a Blast is to upgrade from a Honda Rebel 250 to carry aboard my motor yacht while cruising. It will be my sole land-based transportation while doing so and so I need to accomodate both my Mate and the ability to carry cargo too ... as in 60-90 pounds of groceries. Blastress will literally have to bring home the bacon ... LOL! Requirements for this task are to be lightweight and compact so I can drop my 2-wheeled tender onto docks, maneuver up and down ramps in marinas and even load and offload from a dingy if need be. The Blast is uniquely qualified for these tasks and the upgradeability makes that even more so. I'm adding substantial weight with rack, large top trunk, and saddlebags. I'm interested in more power and mods to help safely handle large weight loads that could meet or even exceed the the suggested load limit. I have no need for speed other than the ability to cruise at freeway speeds comfortably with passenger and cargo. Pegs are a pretty minor consideration to me with several hundred pounds of weight on the bike. We each have our own purposes and reasons for owning a Blast ... mine are quite different. Safety is extraordinarily important to me. I've been riding for more than 40 years and have owned 22 motorcycle ... all Hondas until now! I really have appreciated your comments and understan your purposes ... now you understand mine too. All that said, my Blastress is also pure fun to ride solo ... LOVE IT!

Just to stay on topic for this thread ... improved intake is a cheap and easy performance and horsepower boost. I would consider $50 or so to be a very good buy for a horse. I expect that the hp gain is indeed close to a horse as you've suggested ... if not, It's still a pretty good buy even if you only get half of a horse. If you can tell me where to go to get 10 more horses at $50 per horse, I'm anxious to go there. You're certainly correct about saving weight as 12 pounds = 1 horse. I need more horses cause I'm adding lots of pounds ... My lovely Blastress needs all the help she can get.

C.David - Your intake may be too heavy even for the Super Das Boot - I kid you not - that is the same weight as a Force Intake - and that is one heavy intake. Also I'd sure like to see leg clearance on that as well - sometimes the first designs don't work quite the way we plan.
    EZ

Off Topic - sort of - a high seat is more comfortable than a low seat, and the most comfortable seats made are: Corbin, Rick Meyer, or Sargents. I prefer the hi because I've been known to travel extensive distances, and a high is more comfortable for that - allowing your legs to stretch out more.

Also - I know of two different folks who put Banke rearsets on and kept their rear passenger pegs - cutting off the front pegs of the stock unit, and two others - one who mounted pegs on the swing arm cover tab, and another who mounted them on the swing arm via welding.
    EZ

Renamed

Stack Intake Filter needs support

Quote Originally Posted by ezblast View Post
    C.David - Your intake may be too heavy even for the Super Das Boot - I kid you not - that is the same weight as a Force Intake - and that is one heavy intake. Also I'd sure like to see leg clearance on that as well - sometimes the first designs don't work quite the way we plan.
    EZ
    Hey EZ

I 100% agree with you ... the Super Dan Boot certainly will not provide enough support for this intake along with the Carb (it might but I don't intend on finding out the hard way). I think any kind of stack filter, even a feather weight one such as yours, should be suported because you've lost the supoort provided by the air box and even the Super Dan Boot should not be depended on to provide support ... not even a contest without one ... Dan's boot is a great asset to have here. I have every intention of installing a support to either the Carb or the filter or possibly even both. I'm still waiting for the stack to show up so I can mount this and finish. Any suggestions for support that you may have would be appreciated. I've put the filter in place with masking tape and there are no leg clearance issues at all ... even if one does not shorten the elbow which I have done to improve clearances. This will certainly work just fine and is very attractive on the bike ... just need to add appropriate support. I'll post photos of the finished installation and the support too. This is not as heavy as it looks as the elbow is plastic and the filter itself is roughly equivalent in capacity and weight to the K & N. I love the looks of this filter but it is quite a good one too with construction similar to K & N and the folded -cone design makes it half the height of a linear cone ... check-out the added filter area in the end. I can't wait to get this done.

As for intakes -
    Almost forgot - the freest breathing you can get is of course the torque stack!
    EZ