Thread:

Default Motor build suggestions?

Hey guys! I know this isnt an original post but ive done a lot of reading on this topic but still have some questions.

I had a problem a little after i got my blast, turns out the crank output shaft stripped. Instead of tearing it down, sending it to a machine shop to make sure a new crank is true and rebuilding everything, i just bought a motor (with less miles) and swapped them.

Now im trying to plan out a build for my second motor that i can build and then just swap it out. Obviously theres the big bore kits out there, but im more interested in knowing what cams, springs, lifters, and all the odds and ends. This will be my first motorcycle build (i have built several car motors before) so im not a total noob lol

Ill be using the bike on the street - i ride pretty aggressively and wouldnt mind a “race” built motor. Im looking for info on what parts (w/part numbers or from what bike) would be better. Im thinking of going with the 600 kit, but am having a tough time figuring out what cams and such would work the best, ive seen that adjustable lifters are a go to, any brands better than others? If you could have done something differently to your motor, what would you have done instead?

Like always, I appreciate all the knowledge you guys have and look forward to hearing your opinions!

feel free to voice your opinions on this guys (and gals?)

i want to hear what you guys have done, why you do and dont like the parts you used, and what couldve been or was a better option.

im asking specifically because i want to try to get the build done in 1 go and hopefully not need to redo or change anything later - although we all do

not worth it if the blast is your one and only bike. still not really worth it if you have multiple bikes. but its your money....

little background, back in 2009 I tore my blast down to 515 kit it. and I was without a reliable rideable bike until I bought my firebolt late in 2013... which I wrecked and rebuilt in 2014 and even then I ended up buying a moto guzzi norge in 2016... which was the bike i needed all along... my blast had sat disassembled for about 5 years and even when I got it together there was a chip in the intake seat that got fixed.. but the motor blew a few rides after resolving that issue....long story short what was supposed to be a winter project cause my blast to not become a rideable bike until late 2018ish and it is only now getting dialed in... 10 YEARS later. now others might have more motivation time and money than me... but the lesson still remains. don't mess with your one and only.
    Buell XBlast: NRHS Xb Stage 2 lite, 515 10.5:1, .551 cam, Daytona Twin 1005s-Ex, Vance Hines, Crossroads Fork Brace + Rearsets. Pirelli Rubber
    Buell XB9r: Race ECM/Muffler. K&N

Quote Originally Posted by styxnpicks View Post
    not worth it if the blast is your one and only bike. still not really worth it if you have multiple bikes. but its your money....

little background, back in 2009 I tore my blast down to 515 kit it. and I was without a reliable rideable bike until I bought my firebolt late in 2013... which I wrecked and rebuilt in 2014 and even then I ended up buying a moto guzzi norge in 2016... which was the bike i needed all along... my blast had sat disassembled for about 5 years and even when I got it together there was a chip in the intake seat that got fixed.. but the motor blew a few rides after resolving that issue....long story short what was supposed to be a winter project cause my blast to not become a rideable bike until late 2018ish and it is only now getting dialed in... 10 YEARS later. now others might have more motivation time and money than me... but the lesson still remains. don't mess with your one and only.
    i have 2 engines for the blast, so even if it did blow up id still have a running backup to swap out. i know the kits arent really known for being quality, but I wanted to hear what other things people would recommend.

so far I'm thinking about doing the xb top end and cams, now I'm just waiting to find them for a good price.
    On the way to the dark side Click here to enlarge

xb piston jug head and cams is the best choice. there are some thing you will need to address such as re indexing the ignition timing cup, and retarding the timing from stock by about 3 degrees.... and you really should switch to an aftermarket programable ignition to increase the rev limit.
    Buell XBlast: NRHS Xb Stage 2 lite, 515 10.5:1, .551 cam, Daytona Twin 1005s-Ex, Vance Hines, Crossroads Fork Brace + Rearsets. Pirelli Rubber
    Buell XB9r: Race ECM/Muffler. K&N