Thread:

Default My Blast died while I was riding going about 65 in 5th. Didnít start back up. Then...

.... I pulled over and tried to start the bike again. It started and ran for about 3 seconds then died. There was still gas in my tank, but I thought maybe it was still too low, so I switched to reserve. It ran for about 10 more seconds before it sputtered and died. I assumed I was out of gas at that point. I had a buddy bring gas, and the bike still wouldnít start. I tried to bump start it, unsuccessfully. I had to trailer it home. I got home, and immediately went through the carb assuming it had a clogged jet somehow. Cleaned all the jets and used a lot of jet cleaner. Changed the spark plug, checked all the wiring, check to make sure fuel was coming out of the fuel switch, the boot between the carb and intake, and all the obvious things. I FINALLY got the bike started with some starter fluid, and wouldnít stay running unless I gave it a spray of starter fluid every 5 seconds or so. Once I got it warmed up, the idle would slowly rise without touching the throttle. Itís also sputtering a bit and just didnít sound right. Iím thinking maybe the auto choke isnít working right. But Iím not really sure where to go next. Iíve only owned my Blast for about two months, and it has 8k miles. Any advice/ideas would be greatly appreciated, as Iím running out of ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Boss
    (Admin)

Have you checked your boot connecting to the manifold? Sounds like it's torn.
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:
    2003 Blast (Blue), 2001 XBlast (Rex), 2007 XB9R Firebolt (Bolt)

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Jet-Lee View Post
    I replaced it, nothing has changed. The guys at Harley said itís most likely my ignition module. Itís a $200 part from them, and I canít find it anywhere else sadly.

Is your kickstand safety switch still on the bike they go bad it will not start.

The fix is cut the wire to it and splice together.
    Dan

"My Ride Pics - 501CR"
    http://buellridersonline.com/forum/m...mpe/albums/39/

"Dan's Price List" Click on the link:
    http://buellridersonline.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=7730

Click here to enlarge

(845) 341-7274 Call or Text

fuel, compression. spark.

sounds like a lean condition

the service manual has diagnostic flow charts in the electrical section.
    Buell XBlast: NRHS Xb Stage 2 lite, 515 10.5:1, .551 cam, Daytona Twin 1005s-Ex, Vance Hines, Crossroads Fork Brace + Rearsets. Pirelli Rubber
    Buell XB9r: Race ECM/Muffler. K&N

Could be blocked kinked gas tank vent also
    Dan

"My Ride Pics - 501CR"
    http://buellridersonline.com/forum/m...mpe/albums/39/

"Dan's Price List" Click on the link:
    http://buellridersonline.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=7730

Click here to enlarge

(845) 341-7274 Call or Text

Quote Originally Posted by Jet-Lee View Post
    I replaced it, didnít make a difference.

The Boss
    (Admin)

Blow backwards into your fuel line, so air bubbles in the tank. You might've gotten crap clogged in your petcock. Requires complete removal to properly clean, but this will tell you if that's the real issue.
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:
    2003 Blast (Blue), 2001 XBlast (Rex), 2007 XB9R Firebolt (Bolt)

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!