Thread:

Default Throttle

Hi there! Reaching out, hope you can help or point me in the right direction!

Have a buell blast 2001. 20k miles or so. It has been sitting in our shed about 10 years.

Put fuel/stabilizer before sitting and it had completely evaporated. since then....
    have cleaned carb completely, put new intake boot, put new fuel and oil, oil filter, gas filter, and air filter, new spark plug, spark plug wire, and fuses.

Got it to start. At first it would let me give it lots of gas and it'll rev up just fine but wouldnt run wthout gas and wouldn't idle. Then I cleaned carb and adjusted idle screw a little and then it would go into idle and when giving it gas it stalls. Even when trying to ride it, switch to first and let out clutch itll sputter. So when it would idle and allow me to give it throttle it'll sputter and carb spits out black smoke and it stalls.

So I kept searching through the forum and videos and google to figure out the issue. Still can't seem to figure it out, took carb off and noticed float bowl is getting way to much fuel. ( float seemed to be in right position) I tried adjusting throttle cable adjusters and idle screw because cables were loose around butterfly and now things feel worse. I figured adjusting the idle screw may help with the throttle issue, guess not.

and I can't figure out the exact way to adjust cables adjusters - been searching on here and in self manual and I haven't found correct answer. When trying to start buell it splash out gas and it hasn't been starting today.

So overall huge issue is carb getting too much gas and proper placement of throttle cable adjusters.

PLEASE HELP !!!

The Boss
    (Admin)

Are you sure the needle jet collar was installed in the correct direction? It should be poking up into the throat of the carb about 1/8"

Unplug your sidestand switch, stick a wire between the plugs. The switches fail fairly easily and this bypasses it.
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:
    2003 Blast (Blue), 2001 XBlast (Rex), 2007 XB9R Firebolt (Bolt)

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

It is the smaller side of the needle jet that is up.

Today I had success in starting. It won't start without throttling it then it'll idle, after idling I drove a short distance staying in first and then it stalled and won't restart. Then when trying to restart after a few tries it sputtered smoke from carb.

The Boss
    (Admin)

Smaller side? You want the long side up. The short side has the end flat, the long side has the end angled-in. You want the angled-in side facing up into the carb throat.
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

Thanks Jet-Lee..

Just went in and switched it to the correct way, long end up and it sparks right up and idles YET it will stall out as soon as I give it any throttle... Feeling like back to square 1.

What do you think it is now?

- - - Updated - - -

do you think it is the (Air and Fuel Ratio Sensor)??

The Boss
    (Admin)

There's no a/f sensor on a Blast. Did you put a jumper in the kickstand switch plug?

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:

Like us on Facebook!

Yes I did. When I unplugged it, it wanted to let me give it throttle once. Then went back to idle and not letting me give it throttle. Do I put a wire in both sides or just the pronged side?

I put a piece of wire touching both prongs on both sides. Still the same issue.