Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread:

Default Won't start on its own

Hey!

So I'm new to motorcycles and got a '05 Buell Blast as my first bike. If I spray starting fluid into the intake it'll start, but then I also have to keep the throttle open or else it will die.

I've already cleaned the jets, and I've replaced the boot, assuming that's what it's called. The rubber part that connects the carburetor to the rest of the engine. I also know that my battery has about 12.5-12.6 volts, so that's not an issue, and I've also replaced the spark plug.

Any advice as to the next steps I should take?

The Boss
    (Admin)

Replace gas with new. Make sure the needle jet (collar) is installed in the correct direction. Chech and/or adjust your auto-enricher. Check/adjust your TPS per FSM.

Links:
    BuellMods for manuals
    Carb videos
    Timing and coil check
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:
    2003 Blast (Blue), 2001 XBlast (Rex), 2007 XB9R Firebolt (Bolt)

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

I'm sorry for such a long delay, but I haven't been able to work on it until today. I got into the auto-enrichener and noticed it was about as far back as it could go. So after moving it to cover about half of the hole it'll start on its own and take a few seconds to die without throttle. I'll continue to play with that, but do you have any other advice for about where it should sit, and other things I could do?

The Boss
    (Admin)

Sounds like your fuel valve in the carb bowl might be clogged or dirty, not letting enough fuel in. Also check that the bowl vent is clear (top left hole when looking at the carb).
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

I got a rebuild kit for it, however as it turns out it is missing the cover and gasket on the float bowl area, and the Harley dealership told me they only sell it as a complete unit with the float bowl for $60+ dollars. So instead I've ordered an entirely new carburetor from amazon that should come in on the 23rd, and I will give further updates from there

I've gotten things up and going and it runs now, however it sounds like it's dying when I twist the throttle. Do you have any idea what my next step should be?

The Boss
    (Admin)

Are you sure the needle jet (collar) is installed in the correct orientation? It's the piece the needle slides into. One end is flat, one is concave. The concave end should be pointing up into the throat of the carb.

Have you check your throttle position sensor? Instructions are in the manual, section 7.4, you want .45-.55v at idle across pins 3 and 5 (black and light blue).

Check the diaphragm and boot for tears.

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:

Like us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Jet-Lee View Post
    Are you sure the needle jet (collar) is installed in the correct orientation? It's the piece the needle slides into. One end is flat, one is concave. The concave end should be pointing up into the throat of the carb.

Have you check your throttle position sensor? Instructions are in the manual, section 7.4, you want .45-.55v at idle across pins 3 and 5 (black and light blue).

Check the diaphragm and boot for tears.
    The collar is in correctly. I don't have the wiring adapters that manual mentions, however I did get some metal in the black box part of the wiring harness and made sure it made contact with the pins without impeding their connection. However I couldn't get a reading off my multi meter, no matter how I turned it it stayed at zero. Does this mean I need a new TPS?

The Boss
    (Admin)

Quote Originally Posted by Alexia View Post
    The collar is in correctly. I don't have the wiring adapters that manual mentions, however I did get some metal in the black box part of the wiring harness and made sure it made contact with the pins without impeding their connection. However I couldn't get a reading off my multi meter, no matter how I turned it it stayed at zero. Does this mean I need a new TPS?
    As you tested should still give DC voltage readouts. If you're at zero, your TPS is toast.

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:

Like us on Facebook!

I brought it somewhere to have them fix it because I was tired of fighting it. As it turns out I somehow ended up with a bad enrichener, however they were able to cold start it and show me how, until I can get that changed again