Thread:

Default Exhaust wraps

Hey Guys,

Do you have any opinions about an exhaust wrap? I just put on a new muffler. I thought about wrapping the header and exhaust pipe. What are your thoughts?

The Boss
    (Admin)
  3. Default

It traps moisture and contaminants and promotes rust and deterioration of the metal.

It also hides cracks that cause similar running issues as vacuum leaks, which can cause a troubleshooting nightmare.

I spent months with a friend trying to diagnose what appeared to be a vacuum leak. Lots of gasket replacing and tuning. Turned out a header was cracked under his wrapping.

It looks neat, but it's dangerous to the mild steel headers. I will never use it.
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:
    2003 Blast (Blue), 2001 XBlast (Rex), 2007 XB9R Firebolt (Bolt)

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Jet-Lee View Post
    It traps moisture and contaminants and promotes rust and deterioration of the metal.

It also hides cracks that cause similar running issues as vacuum leaks, which can cause a troubleshooting nightmare.

I spent months with a friend trying to diagnose what appeared to be a vacuum leak. Lots of gasket replacing and tuning. Turned out a header was cracked under his wrapping.

It looks neat, but it's dangerous to the mild steel headers. I will never use it.

Well that's good enough for me! I'll throw that idea out. Thanks Boss.

I first used exhaust wrap in the late 80's on a friend's FZR400 road racer. I did so after reading about it in a book entitled "Power Secrets" by legendary stock car builder Smokey Yunick. The book is no longer in print. However, from time to time, a copy will appear on ebay (for a hefty price). Lots of interesting stuff in that book, including the benefits of using as long a connecting rod as possible and how air flows around valves. The guy was an innovator, to say the least. If you come upon a copy, grab it.

The thinking regarding exhaust wrap, was that the wrap would keep the exhaust gas temperature up and, as such, allow for better scavenging. We didn't have access to a dyno, so, quite frankly, I'm not sure whether it improved performance. It definitely looked cool, though. I still remember all the riders/mechanics who noticed it on the primary tubes that were visible, coming over and asking about it. However, for the reasons Lee pointed out, it doesn't belong on a street bike.

Quote Originally Posted by upperb View Post
    I first used exhaust wrap in the late 80's on a friend's FZR400 road racer. I did so after reading about it in a book entitled "Power Secrets" by legendary stock car builder Smokey Yunick. The book is no longer in print. However, from time to time, a copy will appear on ebay (for a hefty price). Lots of interesting stuff in that book, including the benefits of using as long a connecting rod as possible and how air flows around valves. The guy was an innovator, to say the least. If you come upon a copy, grab it.

The thinking regarding exhaust wrap, was that the wrap would keep the exhaust gas temperature up and, as such, allow for better scavenging. We didn't have access to a dyno, so, quite frankly, I'm not sure whether it improved performance. It definitely looked cool, though. I still remember all the riders/mechanics who noticed it on the primary tubes that were visible, coming over and asking about it. However, for the reasons Lee pointed out, it doesn't belong on a street bike.

My header pipe will need replacing someday but I don't want to hasten that project. I love the look with wraps though. I wish it wouldn't make it worse. Kinda of a bummer but need to be smart. I have too many other things to worry about right now, and I don't need to create another problem. Thanks for you input and I'll check out the book!

My pleasure.

Good luck with your build!