Thread:

Noobie
  2. Default Blast ease of theft?

My Blast was recently stolen, and recovered a day later. The ignition switch was entirely gone, and after looking at a few on eBay (e.g. https://www.ebay.com/itm/00-09-OEM-B...889f:rk:4:pf:0), they look very much like a "plug-and-play" part.

Does this make the Blast a very easy target for theft (I mean, besides it being a small and light bike)? I mean, I'm trying to see a way in which you couldn't just buy a switch with keys included and run around stealing Blasts by just changing out the part, but it looks like it would be that easy.

in reality, yes it is that simple.
    if you want, you could easily run a kill switch that's hidden somewhere (under seat, under tank, etc.) and you'd be safe.

I have a spare ignition if you need one...

Noobie
  5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by miktweedie View Post
    in reality, yes it is that simple.
    if you want, you could easily run a kill switch that's hidden somewhere (under seat, under tank, etc.) and you'd be safe.

I have a spare ignition if you need one...

I still haven't gotten a new one, so yea, if you have one you're looking to sell that'd be awesome!

The Boss
    (Admin)
  7. Default

They're so light, an ignition interrupt isn't going to deter many people.

Make sure you lock your steering and also add a brake rotor lock or two. You can also keep a hefty chain at home and run it through a tire and a post. Nothing is theft proof, but the more you can deter them, or make theft more time consuming, the more likely they are to pass it up.

I used a Masterlock to lock my helmet to my rear rotor, and locked the bars. Occasionally I used a cable lock through my sleeves and top triple and left my jacket with the bike.
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:
    2003 Blast (Blue), 2001 XBlast (Rex), 2007 XB9R Firebolt (Bolt)

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by apocalypticamerica View Post
    I still haven't gotten a new one, so yea, if you have one you're looking to sell that'd be awesome!
    I sent you a PM.