Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread:

Default Problems with my bike... and is the magneto going bad?

Hey guys,

I'm now on my second battery is less than 6 months. i thought the first one was bad, so I was able to exchange it. Now I'm having the same problems. The battery is not retaining juice. I will be able to start it for a few days only and then the battery is acting like it's dead. I hear a rapid fast clicking. I have checked the wires and cleaned them up. It's grounded and all that.

I was pushing her home the other day, and some guy stopped and asked what's wrong. He told me it was the magneto. I have no way of checking it. The used part is rather expensive. Is the alternator and magneto the same part? Any advice?

By the way, it's a 2007 Buell Blast.
    Last edited by dlongbeach; 12-10-2018 at 05:42 AM.

The Boss
    (Admin)

Blasts have neither an alternator nor a magneto.

A magneto is used for ignition, whereby a magnet passes by an iron-cored coil of wire to induce a charge to the spark plug. We use a computer signal to send voltage to the spark plug via ignition coil. Many gas-powered lawn mowers still use a magneto for spark ignition.

An alternator (like in a car) is an assembled device which has a set of magnets (rotor, mount to crankshaft) that spin within a stationary set of coils (stator, mounted to case) to generate AC current. The rectifier (mounted to subframe) is almost always internal so the alternator outputs DC voltage.

A motorcycle has the three components separate. The set of magnets (rotor) spin around a stationary set of coils (stator) to generate AC current which is then fed to the Voltage Regulator (or Rectifier) to be converted into 13.8VDC.

Having the parts separate allows for them to fit where necessary and take up less space. It also allows us to only replace the individual parts that go bad. If your VR goes bad on your car, you have to replace the whole alternator (unless you're handy and rebuild it).

Your issue could be a bad VR, bad stator, or both. Troubleshooting steps are outlined in any of the manuals on BuellMods.
    Last edited by Jet-Lee; 12-11-2018 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Edited for Clarification
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:
    2003 Blast (Blue), 2001 XBlast (Rex), 2007 XB9R Firebolt (Bolt)

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

Ok, thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Jet-Lee View Post
    Blasts have neither an alternator nor a magneto.

A magneto is used for ignition, whereby a magnet passes by an iron-cored coil of wire to induce a charge to the spark plug. We use a computer signal to send voltage to the spark plug via ignition coil. Many gas-powered lawn mowers still use a magneto for spark ignition.

An alternator (like in a car) is an assembled device which has a set of magnets (rotor) that spin within a stationary set of coils (stator) to generate AC current. The rectifier is almost always internal so the alternator outputs DC voltage.

An alternator (like in a car) is an assembled device which has a set of magnets (rotor, mount to crankshaft) that spin within a stationary set of coils (stator, mounted to case) to generate AC current. The rectifier (mounted to subframe) is almost always internal so the alternator outputs DC voltage.

Having the parts separate allows for them to fit where necessary and take up less space. It also allows us to only replace the individual parts that go bad. If your VR goes bad on your car, you have to replace the whole alternator (unless you're handy and rebuild it).

Your issue could be a bad VR, bad stator, or both. Troubleshooting steps are outlined in any of the manuals on BuellMods.

The Boss
    (Admin)

Updated for clarification.
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

The Boss
    (Admin)

Any update?

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:

Like us on Facebook!

Any update?
    Not much. I'm having a VR delivered tomorrow. We'll see what happens. It seems to be the cheapest and easiest. The research I've done on stator replacement is very intimidating. So, I hope the VR solves it.

The Boss
    (Admin)

You can test the stator yourself without removing a single bolt.

Quickest test is for continuity between each pin and ground, there should be none. I forget what value should be between pins, but that is in the manual.

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:

Like us on Facebook!

You can test the stator yourself without removing a single bolt.

Quickest test is for continuity between each pin and ground, there should be none. I forget what value should be between pins, but that is in the manual.
    Thanks Boss. I will investigate this. I hope the VR fixes all of this.

Any update?
    I put on a new VR and so far so good. Day 3 of not having to charge my battery. Thank you Boss. You were a big help.

The Boss
    (Admin)

Quote Originally Posted by dlongbeach View Post
    I put on a new VR and so far so good. Day 3 of not having to charge my battery. Thank you Boss. You were a big help.
    Awesome! Do some voltage checks, before and after each ride, for a few days to make sure there is no parasitic loss occurring. Keep a log so you can compare results.

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:

Like us on Facebook!