Thread:

Noobie
  2. Default Intermittent starting issues/what's that wire?!

2008 Blast, has a problem that's getting worse. If the starter switch works, it turns over and starts pretty much right away. But it's been progressively more common for nothing to happen when I hit the start button.

Things of note:
    1. The neutral light has been stuck on for some time now. Hadn't thought much if it, other than that it's missing a ground. But could be a shared ground?
    2. The turn signals and brake light don't work either. I've looked at the fuses, replaced the flasher relay, and replaced the switch at the handlebar, doesn't seem to be any of those, so I figured just a short in that system.
    3. The speedometer doesn't read speed, and the odometer isn't showing miles. Could be speed sensor need to be cleaned, but could be another ground?
    4. Recently, when I tried to start it, the headlight went out and it wouldn't start. Came back the next morning, it started right up, but the headlight is still out. Remembering something I read, I'm wondering, is something wrong with the voltage regulator?

Jeez, that adds up.
    Okay, and for the wires... First one I've attached here is under the gas tank, on the clutch side. It looks like maybe a ground? Entirely loose on one end, but the attached end doesn't even seem to really go anywhere. I have no idea what this is.

- - - Updated - - -

Other wire is on opposite side (brake side) also just under gas tank, but has dual connectors. Leads back under frame into wiring harness.

- - - Updated - - -
    (not sure why the image uploader is not working, but I'll try again tomorrow)
    Last edited by apocalypticamerica; 09-06-2018 at 06:02 AM.

check the wiring going to the main circuit breaker. I was having some issues with starting (bike not turning over and losing power to the speedo when trying to start) and adjusting those wires seems to have fixed my issue. haven't had trouble starting in the 3 months since I adjusted those wires.

and yeah it wouldn't hurt to get a new voltage regulator (like $40 bucks from surdyke)

The Boss
    (Admin)
  5. Default

I had similar issues with a bad voltage regulator.
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:
    2003 Blast (Blue), 2001 XBlast (Rex), 2007 XB9R Firebolt (Bolt)

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

Noobie
  7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by thejoker954 View Post
    check the wiring going to the main circuit breaker. I was having some issues with starting (bike not turning over and losing power to the speedo when trying to start) and adjusting those wires seems to have fixed my issue. haven't had trouble starting in the 3 months since I adjusted those wires.

and yeah it wouldn't hurt to get a new voltage regulator (like $40 bucks from surdyke)

That's $40 for a new part? I'm seeing them on eBay for more like $50 used, so that would be a great deal. Is Surdyke a user here I should message?

The Boss
    (Admin)
  9. "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:
    2003 Blast (Blue), 2001 XBlast (Rex), 2007 XB9R Firebolt (Bolt)

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

Noobie
  11. Default

Thanks for the link! I'm going to go through the bike with a multimeter tomorrow to check everything out, in case I can avoid the $40 for a new part (even though that's not too bad), I'll update when I have more info.