Thread:

Noobie
  2. Default Clutch problems?

Bike = 2008 Blast, no mods.

I bought from a friend couple of months ago, and it had been sitting neglected for a while. The first thing I did after I bought the bike was change the fluids, both motor oil and the primary. When I opened up the primary, that oil was banana pudding . But, I changed it, adjusted the clutch, and it rode around pretty well for a while. So I figure I'll pop it open and see if it's better. It's yellow again, but not as bad. So I change again, hopefully having flushed out all the moisture (when I adjusted from the clutch cable, I had noticed a lot of water in the protective boot, so I'm guessing it found it's way in through the housing).

So a week or two ago, the clutch cable breaks. I go to replace it, and the oil in the primary has not turned back into yellow, which is great news, but after replacing the cable, the clutch seems way too tight. I can't adjust it correctly. It either won't engage (when I kick it into first gear after start up, it lunges into 1st and dies), or the lever is way too tight, and it shifts kinda sponge-y. It will still start and idle in neutral just fine.

Something I noticed when adjusting it from the screw is; when I feel it's about where it should be, the jam nut doesn't fit back into place correctly. It doesn't align with both the hex shape on the outside as well as the ovalistic shape of the adjusting screw.

Is this a clutch issue, or did I buy a bad cable? For reference, this is the cable I bought: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bikers-Choi...72.m2749.l2649

did you adjust the clutch ramp? (the piece the cable connects to in the primary) I had to adjust that when I changed my cable before adjusting at the lever worked for me.

Noobie
  5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by thejoker954 View Post
    did you adjust the clutch ramp? (the piece the cable connects to in the primary) I had to adjust that when I changed my cable before adjusting at the lever worked for me.

Hm. I guess I haven't. How is that adjusted?

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, so I figured it out. thejoker945- I'm not sure if you are talking about the clutch release mechanism?

Anyways, I backed the lockplate all the way out, pulled out the clutch release mechanism and inspected it, and everything looked fine. I reassembled everything, adjusted the screw again, put the cover back on, adjusted from the barrel on the clutch cable, and voila, problem fixed. I had done this before about two times, I can't honestly say I know what I was doing wrong. But a little more fiddling apparently fixed it.

The Boss
    (Admin)
  7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by apocalypticamerica View Post
    Hm. I guess I haven't. How is that adjusted?

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, so I figured it out. thejoker945- I'm not sure if you are talking about the clutch release mechanism?

Anyways, I backed the lockplate all the way out, pulled out the clutch release mechanism and inspected it, and everything looked fine. I reassembled everything, adjusted the screw again, put the cover back on, adjusted from the barrel on the clutch cable, and voila, problem fixed. I had done this before about two times, I can't honestly say I know what I was doing wrong. But a little more fiddling apparently fixed it.
    That piece is the clutch ramp. One of the three balls inside can get positioned differently than the others and cause your issue. Take it off and put it back on, is the fix.
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:
    2003 Blast (Blue), 2001 XBlast (Rex), 2007 XB9R Firebolt (Bolt)

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!