Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread:

Default Problems getting bike to start and run

Hi all,

Recently purchased a 01 Blast with 1036 miles on it that had been sitting for a while and ran poorly. When I bought it the owner couldn't get it to start so got a great deal on it.
    Anyway drained the gas out of it and replaced the tires and battery and got it started after a few tries and sputters it ran fairly well. After about 80 miles i noticed it starting to die when giving it throttle. So I decided it was time to clean the carb since it was probably gunked up. Low and behold it has so much gunk in the float bowl and jets. cleaned that all up and noticed the float was way out of adjustment so i aligned it to within factory specs and put it all back together following closely to DIY guides. Put the bike back together mostly and tried to get it started and it wants to fire up but wont stay idling, and if it does dies quickly after any sort of throttle and backfires through the carb.

Any suggestions?

Im waiting on a PM from Dan for a superboot to maybe fix any vacuum leaks and i haven't made any jet or idle mix adjustments.

PS sorry for the lengthy post

The Boss
    (Admin)
  3. Default

Dan's had issues with his manufacturer.

Have you made sure the needle jet is installed correctly?

Check out my videos here for reference:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...K1JbF6ICqCfkxD
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:
    2003 Blast (Blue), 2001 XBlast (Rex), 2007 XB9R Firebolt (Bolt)

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Jet-Lee View Post
    Dan's had issues with his manufacturer.

Have you made sure the needle jet is installed correctly?

Check out my videos here for reference:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...K1JbF6ICqCfkxD
    Yes actually your video is the reason I noticed I put that piece above the emulsion tube in upside down. Update I did get the bike started and running yesterday buy could only get it started with my hand over the carb inlet. I may try and open the auto enrichersomemore... does that mean the superboot is no longer available? Is there some other option?

ok update..

Now i cannot get the bike started without using my hand to choke it over the carb mouth. it then only stays running if i give it gas or use ,y hand to limit the air intake. I have new jets coming 45/170 and a new slide. Im still trying to source a intake boot locally. Any ideas what could be my issue? maybe the auto enricher went bad?

Any advice is greatly appreciated as I am a newb when it comes to motorcycles.

The Boss
    (Admin)
  7. Default

Have you adjusted the idle mixture screw on the bottom of the carb?
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

I have not drilled out the plug yet for that I ordered the EZ adjustable one from CV performance. I was going to wait for all of that to come in but I can Try that tonight to see if it helps.

The Boss
    (Admin)
  10. Default

Do that.

It sounds like either too lean idle mix circuit, fuel too low or fuel is bad.

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:

Like us on Facebook!

The Boss
    (Admin)
  12. Default

Do that.

It sounds like either too lean idle mix circuit, fuel too low or fuel is bad.

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:

Like us on Facebook!

Update.... So I re-jetted the carb with 45 and 170 main, shimmed the needle 0.045 i turned the ideal mix screw out 2.5 times to start, and replaced the boot. The bike started up after a little time cranking so much better than before. It was running a little rough and low idle, Im guessing the cold weather doesn't help much and my garage isn't heated. Im hoping with a little time tuning the mixture and idle speed it will run great. I have not tried to ride since the snow and salt all over the roads. If there is a clear day Im going to try and go for a short ride to see if there are any sputters or hiccups.

OK so I have changed over to a manual choke setup because I was tired of messing with the auto setup. The choke works as it should and i checked for vacuum leaks by using carb cleaner while running. The bike still refuses to start cold. I have to sit there and mess with the choke and crank it for minutes before it even sputters. Once it warms up after cranking and sputtering the bike runs great..... I have the idle mix screw 2 2/3 turns out i did the muffler mod and my jets are 45 and 170. Can anyone tell me where to look for issues. Im at a real loss here