Thread:

2. Default XB9SX Handlebar, Grip's, Brake Lever & Pedal, Shift Lever, Mirrors mod advice needed

I'm a tall guy, like 6'-2", and my arms are too long for my height, so I like to tweak everything on a bike too my goofy size. Typically I get near the end of the adjusters for the two pedals and I have to fiddle with steering and controls before I'm satisfied.

The Lightning City X I'm on now was slid once by the first owner on the right side, but no critical damage came from it. The brake pedal was bent up along the lever's front to back axis, and twisted about 15 up on the left to right axis. The front brake lever has a small grind spot on the bottom of the ball end and feels bent slightly down towards the road. Just for reference their were slight grind patches on the right mirror, right hand guard, right front turn signal clear cover, right tank rubber guard, one of the header pipes, and the right passengers foot peg.

I'm open to suggestions for parts suppliers, or treat this as a WTB ad. Also, I know how trivial my problems are here. This bike is the greatest thing I've ever operated. That said...

I think I restored the brake pedal with a clever use of two large pipe wrenches, but I have no reference part to compare it to. At max adjustment down the brake lever is almost on top of my boot. (sure, I don't need a back brake, it's a Buell) If the foot peg went straight out from the hinge point, I might be okay, but I don't know if their were peg options. I thought about swapping the front with the back pegs, but they are different where I can't use the springs that keep the drivers pegs always out. So that's my first problem.

The shift lever has me perplexed. If I put it where I want it with the turnbuckle it doesn't have the ability to down shift into first. Lolz! With it adjusted up enough to shift normally, it feels too high for me. Again, if the foot peg went straight out from the hinge point I'd be happy.

The stock mirrors annoy me by vibrating, the right one is in the wrong place from the slide the first owner gave it, and they are rust seized so not adjustable. My V-Max had very similar mirrors, but they had a way to tighten the knuckle near the glass. It's hard to see past my own arms with the stock setup, so I need the glass to be farther out, and a rectangular mirror would be better than a circle. Do I get rid of the hand guard and do bar-end mounted mirrors? Are their aftermarket choices that would make me happy? I've shopped around a bit and in pictures they all look like cheap pretty shit that will be worse than what I got now.

The handle bar pipe is a problem too. I broke a thumb once decades ago and I need more of a gunfighter bar for my throttle hand to be happy. Mine has a black coating. It's that "powder coated" or just paint? I ask because I was able to bend my V-Max bar by sliding an extra-long 3/4" ratchet wrench extension in the end and pushing hard at full stop on the steering. If it's just paint on the Buell bar then I can do that again.

Are their any aftermarket levers that fit the Lightning? I'd like to get the shortened levers for it. Like the 2-3 finger style levers. If not, where can I get an OEM brake lever?

I know I'm getting progressively more petty and whiney here.

The last thing that bugs me and I'd like to change is the size of the hand grips. The dirt bike size feels tiny to me. I'd like them to be the size of an empty toilet paper roll. I've never tried to alter that before. I assume I'll run into a bunch of problems trying to switch things. I can't find anything in the service manual about the current grips, like are they glued to the bar or just slid on? Can I get the big style grip to fit a small bar?

Posted from my Buell using Buell Riders Online mobile app

4. Default

Just for reference...

Does that look normal after I bent it back?

And does this look like the first owner put a brake line on 180 wrong?

6. Default

Fucking beautiful!

8. Default

brake line is fine
    Buell XBlast: NRHS Xb Stage 2 lite, 515 10.5:1, .551 cam, Daytona Twin 1005s-Ex, Vance Hines, Crossroads Fork Brace + Rearsets. Pirelli Rubber
    Buell XB9r: Race ECM/Muffler. K&N

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by styxnpicks View Post
    brake line is fine
    Thanks. Discovered the whole brake assembly want level which tightened the line.

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by WNYmathGuy View Post
    Fucking beautiful!
    Needed a slight alteration...

Test drive after install showed the hydraulic piston was being held in about 1mm deeper than OEM lever. Each lever squeeze got closer to fluid lock.

Life is short and mostly pointless, breaking things is part of it. Also, try to have fun while you're here.