Thread:

Default 2006 XB12R won't idle after TPS reset

Hey everyone. New to the forum here and I have a problem. I've had my Buell since Oct. of '14 and I've been all over the place with it.
    Usually it seems like it's fix one thing another thing breaks but this time I've got a problem that I can't seem to figure out.
    I've scoured the web for some sort of idea as how to fix it but can't find anything I haven't already tried.

(Detailed back story)

Anyways, I recently replaced the fuel filters and pump on my bike as well as drained the gas because my bike couldn't/wouldn't run properly (took 2 hours to get home from a town 10 minutes away) (Filters were both awful) During this, I replaced the spark plugs (never been replaced before) with new non-stock performance plugs. I put it all back together and the bike ran great. (Also, I ALWAYS use premium gas)

After about 5-6 trips, I stopped at a red light and the idle hovered on 2000 instead of 1150 then went to normal after about 10-15 seconds. Later, I was stopped at another light and the rpm dropped to around 600-800 and I had to rev it in order to keep it from stalling but the revs were very hesitant.

I bought a TPS reset cable online and downloaded the ECMSpy program for my bike model and year. I reset the TPS like the directions said and now it won't even idle correctly (idles @ 3500-4000) unless I almost take the idle adjuster screw all the way out.

When I throttle it and then let go, the RPMs jump up very fast like I'm opening it full (I only have it throttled maybe 20-25%) then it goes back down and dies. Everything online I research just says "reset the TPS" (with a bunch of success stories on every thread) which I've already done but it just won't work.

TLR
    TPS reset ruined my bike worse than it was before.

Any answers or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm stuck driving my car and the weather's been cold in north east Ohio so I haven't worried that much but it's soon to be nice. Haha I waaaaant to ride!

Thanks for the help in advance.

Posted from my Buell using Buell Riders Online mobile app

The Boss
    (Admin)
  3. Default

You've described the classic symptoms of leaking intake seals.
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:
    2003 Blast (Blue), 2001 XBlast (Rex), 2007 XB9R Firebolt (Bolt)

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

Thanks Jet! I'll need to take a look at them and replace them. It looks like a cheap fix too. Hopefully that's what this issue is!

The Boss
    (Admin)
  6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dictatinglory View Post
    Thanks Jet! I'll need to take a look at them and replace them. It looks like a cheap fix too. Hopefully that's what this issue is!

Cheap? Yes.
    Aggravating? Extremely. Go slow.
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

Much thanks to Jet-Lee for your help!

After waiting a while for my seals to come in and trying to work on the bike while simultaneously working on and being in a family wedding, I've replaced the intake manifold seals, replaced and "oil-covered" the fuel injector o-rings (it looked like they haven't been replaced since the bike was put together), preformed a TPS reset, and lastly re-wired the headlights and horn. Bad luck for me bc as I put the last bolt into the front fairing stay it started to rain heavily, so I'll test ride tomorrow and report back.

Hopefully someone doesn't have to go through all this, but if they do, I hope they find and use this thread.

Took it around town today and the idle was still hanging, so I came home and sprayed the intake seals with wd-40 and no change in revs. I then lowered the idle to just under 1000 rpm and it's running fantastic.
    Thanks for the help.

The Boss
    (Admin)
  10. Default

Did you do a TPS reset after changing the seals? You should.

Glad to hear it's going well again!

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:

Like us on Facebook!