Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread:

Default Bike won't start (been doing research still no luck)

Hi all,

New the forum, own a 03 XB9s and a Blast (for the wife) and I am having nothing but problems with the Blast this year.

Last year her bike ran fine (would almost stall once warmed up if throttle not applied) but we rode it all over town with no issues and this year its giving me lots of headaches!!

Battery was dead so I got a new one and it would start up and idle for a while eventually dying out. So far I have done:
    - new battery
    - replaced boot
    - new plug wire
    - tried 2-different plugs from my XB I replaced last year (gapped .040)
    - new gasket between the carb & airbox
    - seafoam in gas tank/spark plug hole/carb
    - messed around with the throttle screw
    - sprayed WD40 around the boot to check for leaks and the flange that attaches the boot to the engine (while bike was idling)
    - adjusted the primary chain using sound method (it was idling long enough for me to do this)

Now the bike won't even start & idle, so last night I drained all the fuel out of the tank and sprayed down the filter with Seafoam. Planning to get some 93 octane today and put the tank back on. Any other suggestions? I have the battery on a charger now because with all the cranking I have been doing its starting to kill the battery.

I HAVE NOT checked the timing yet.

Further info, the original spark plug I removed was black and the 1st replacement I removed also was black.

Define "black". dry black or wet black? see the attached chart.
    Dry black is carbon fouling, means you're running rich. Could have been something to do with your carb tinkering. I would hazard to guess that the auto-enricher (choke) is acting up, and that's causing the excess fuel.
    Wet black is oil, which means either your rings are toast, or you're getting a ton of crap coming in through the breather. have you checked the PCV hose in the carb for oil? was there a mess in your filter assembly? Done compression test?

let us know.

link to image:

http://advtechconsultants.com/Spark%...0Chehroudi.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by miktweedie View Post
    Define "black". dry black or wet black? see the attached chart.
    Dry black is carbon fouling, means you're running rich. Could have been something to do with your carb tinkering. I would hazard to guess that the auto-enricher (choke) is acting up, and that's causing the excess fuel.
    Wet black is oil, which means either your rings are toast, or you're getting a ton of crap coming in through the breather. have you checked the PCV hose in the carb for oil? was there a mess in your filter assembly? Done compression test?

let us know.

link to image:

http://advtechconsultants.com/Spark%...0Chehroudi.jpg
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4779.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	5764

More wet then dry I'd say. But pulling the hose off that goes through the airbox mounting on the carb it did look pretty "milky" in there. I do not recall the airbox being too messy and I have not done a compression test

The Boss
    (Admin)

Have you drained the fuel bowl? The fuel in the bowl may be bad.
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:
    2003 Blast (Blue), 2001 XBlast (Rex), 2007 XB9R Firebolt (Bolt)

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

I agree with jet. Drop the bowl and pull the slow and main jet + holder and spray them with carb cleaner or brake cleaner.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jet-Lee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crackhead View Post
    I agree with jet. Drop the bowl and pull the slow and main jet + holder and spray them with carb cleaner or brake cleaner.

I will give this a try, thanks guys!

Well I emptied the bowl and pulled the main & slow jet, sprayed it down with seafoam put it all back together with fresh 89 octane fuel and it seems to start up a little easier now, but still isn't great once its started

The Boss
    (Admin)

Check timing and make sure the screw on the bottom of the carb is 2.5 turns out from soft bottom.

Posted from my Buell using Buell Riders Online mobile app
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:
    2003 Blast (Blue), 2001 XBlast (Rex), 2007 XB9R Firebolt (Bolt)

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

Also check to make sure the vacuum nipple cover on the fuel side of the carb is intact.

Check timing and make sure the screw on the bottom of the carb is 2.5 turns out from soft bottom.

Posted from my Buell using Buell Riders Online mobile app
    OK, I I'll check timing and you mean the idle mix screw right?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blast carb.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	5765

Also check to make sure the vacuum nipple cover on the fuel side of the carb is intact.

I tried briefly pulling this cover off yesterday to see whats under it and could not...so its definitely on there lol!