Thread:

Noobie
  2. Default Is my Carb Missing something?

I bought 2000 Buell Blast with less than 7000 miles back in November, I rode it home from buying it no problems at all, then I let it sit for a few weeks due to not having insurance on it. Finally got insurance and took it out for a few rides and everything was great. One day I took it to run down to the gym (which is less than 2 miles from my place) and then it wouldn't start back up. So I kept trying and trying and gave it some gas to get it turned over and it finally started, it backfired A LOT and anytime I took my hand off the throttle it would instantly die. So I got it home and parked it for a few weeks, Ive been reading all the Buell Blast forums searching for solutions for my problem, Ive been performing the normal maintenance on it, change plug and wires, clean air filters, I purchased a new boot for the intake manifold to the carb (yet to install tho) So After watching multiple videos on carb rebuilding and rejetting (It has Buell Pro series intake, and V&H Exhaust) I noticed something was off with my carb. I am missing a diaphragm cover and parts? I noticed that some of the Buell Blast Carbs for sale on EBAY show no cover so I am a little confused. I am about to take the carb off and clean it and check to see if the previous owner rejetted due to the upgrades. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I want this bike to run again, its a lot of fun. THANKS!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Buell Blast Carb.jpg  

The Boss
    (Admin)
  4. Default

Sounds like you have bad gas, torn boot, or both.

That diaphragm mount is unused on Blasts, don't worry about it. Notice the bolt holes are unthreaded, there was never anything there.

Remove the fuel bowl, slide cap and slide, NOTHING ELSE; leave the jets where they are. Spray out every orifice with tons of carb cleaner. Reinstalll slide, cap and fuel bowl. DO NOT REMOVE ANYTHING ELSE!!
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:
    2003 Blast (Blue), 2001 XBlast (Rex), 2007 XB9R Firebolt (Bolt)

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

Noobie
  6. Default

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Buell_Gasket.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	5672 Before I even touched the carb I figured I should check out the manifold gasket first. Looks Like I found the problem, Changed it out and it started up right away. Looks like Im getting a leak coming from my petcock when the gas switch is turned on. Should I just unscrew it and check the o rings? Thanks Again.

The Boss
    (Admin)
  8. Default

Yup, that'll do it.

Yeah, drain the gas and unscrew the petcock to inspect.

Probably wouldn't hurt to run a bit of SeaFoam in the tank when you put it back together; it'll clean the tank, carb and top-end a bit.
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:
    2003 Blast (Blue), 2001 XBlast (Rex), 2007 XB9R Firebolt (Bolt)

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

I had the same problem. Is your blast stored in side or out? I rode my bike to work one day and when I got out it wouldn't start. It rained a little while I was at work. I think some water maid it past the gas cap o-ring. I ended up draining the gas and replacing the cap o-ring. I also took the carb apart to clean out any of the bad gas.

Posted from my Buell using Buell Riders Online mobile app

11. Default

The SuperBoot available from DC listed in the Vendors Forum made me trust my manifold gasket functionality much more as well as making it easier to tighten after a break in period. One of the best investments for the $$ I've found.