Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread:

Well, the updates continue. the tank is 80% done now, and what a nightmare it has been. We have it pretty close to the shape we wanted, and are in the process of sealing up all the seams. Due to the mount and the carb, it is gonna be very left-side heavy, but we are working in as much capacity on the right side as possible. Once welding is done, we will grind it as smooth as possible and then pressure test. if all goes well, it'll be done in a week. You can see how much we cut out of the front to accommodate the clip-ons, and how much metal was removed underneath.

Also, as a "surprise" for me, my buddy who's been helping with the welding went above and beyond, and fabricated a new top for the tank that accommodates the original filler cap. I was beyond stoked, as it kinda lets it look like it is supposed to be there. Probably won't be everyone's favorite mod, but I'm not building it for anyone else.

The Boss
    (Admin)

That's a lot of work. Cool!
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:
    2003 Blast (Blue), 2001 XBlast (Rex), 2007 XB9R Firebolt (Bolt)

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!!

Long story short, my buddy got busy, and I got busy, and the bike ended up in his garage under a tarp for 18 months...

but yesterday he called to inform me he was outside my house with a surprise, and here we have it, the monstrosity that has been dubbed the Franken-Tank is complete, and it is in fact so ugly that its kinda beautiful.

Still a lot to finish up, including:

headlight and taillight mounts
    finish shifter linkage
    figure our routing for main harness
    recess the battery deeper into the tray (I decided I don't like it)
    upholster the seat
    replace all fluids
    probable replace tires
    figure out rear brake line/light switch

that aside, here are some pics:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FQOqjFK.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	5899

Name:	GT24PI3.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	5900

Name:	ez1Z0Lg.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	5901

Name:	VZrqsQN.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	5898

The Boss
    (Admin)

Looking forward to the rest of the build!
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:
    2003 Blast (Blue), 2001 XBlast (Rex), 2007 XB9R Firebolt (Bolt)

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

question for all you knowledge vaults:

I hate the stock speedo mount (and mine is broken anyways). Has anyone found a decent looking replacement? I'm also considering just tossing it and running a basic classic-look speedo off something else, or possibly speedo/tach combo.

any input is appreciated. I'll toss up some new pics this week, lots of progress has been made.

more questions... and if anyone can answer about the speedo that would help too...

i need an intake of some type, but the options seem limited due to the location and total lack of space. i am considering running a 1" section of 2.5" pipe with a mesh screen, just to have something there. A 2" velocity stack would be great, but they are impossible to find and the ones I did find are insanely expensive. any ideas?

I have a feeling if someone had access to a 3d printer they could make a mint selling copy's of the m2 velocity stack.
    Buell XBlast: NRHS Xb Stage 2 lite, 515 10.5:1, .551 cam, Daytona Twin 1005s-Ex, Vance Hines, Crossroads Fork Brace + Rearsets. Pirelli Rubber
    Buell XB9r: Race ECM/Muffler. K&N