Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread:

The Boss
    (Admin)
  2. Default Batteries

Don't see many threads like this around. What battery are you running and how do you like it?

I ordered one of these yesterday. Thought I'd give it a shot for <$50 and see how well it does; 200CCA, 18-mo warranty, AGM and gel. It's $48.90 from Amazon but not Prime eligible. It's $48.18 from manufacturer page (link below), but you can get 10% off using the code 10NEWCUSTOMER and you get free shipping. So I paid $43.36 and should have it by Wednesday.

It's a Chrome Pro-Series YTX14-BS
    https://www.chromebattery.com/ytx14-...s-battery.html

I am currently running an Exide Supercrank 12-BS, but it's getting on in age; 180CCA, 6-mo warranty (out) and AGM

The Exide cranks the Blast with little-to-no effort and the Firebolt is good if it's not on compression stroke otherwise it hangs for a second. If I click it (Firebolt) in gear and rock it back to pull the engine off compression after I park it, it starts without issue at all.
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:
    2003 Blast (Blue), 2001 XBlast (Rex), 2007 XB9R Firebolt (Bolt)

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

4. Default

Lee,

I just recently installed a Yuasa maintenance free battery in my Blast.

The reason for the Yuasa I have always had excellent longevity from their batteries.

I did buy it from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/YUASA-YTX14-BS...rch_detailpage

So far so good.

Kenny G
    *** 2009 Blast *** V&H Exhaust *** Dan's Intake System Along With Recommended Jetting By Dan *** Yellow Skins Purchased, New Old Stock, From Dealers Who Used Yellow Blasts For Riders Edge ***
    *** Pirelli Diablo Tire Front *** Pirelli ST 66 140 70S 16 Tire Rear***

*** Hope To Work On Suspension Next ***

6. Default

I run the AGM power sport battery from NAPA 220cca w/ 6 mo. war.. Im pretty sure East Penn manufactures them

I run this because I am an ex-employee so I get it at a good price (think I paid 60 and change for it) and no waiting on shipping

No complaints so far but only 2 months of use
    Mr.McGraw

8. Default

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	65948-00a400.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	5429

Factory H-D battery: 65948-00A. Works great.
    2008 Buell Blast - 8000 miles
    Modified Stock Exhaust - 45/175 jetting, No Needle Shim, Idle Mix: 2.75 turns out
    Denso Iridium Racing Spark Plug
    Pirelli Diablo Front - 110/70-16
    Michelin CityGrip Rear - 140/70-16

Blast Mods and Tips -- Blast General Parts List -- Part Number Updates
    Mechanical Engineer

The Boss
    (Admin)
  10. Default

My Chrome Pro came in today, I'm very impressed so far.

Fits the Firebolt subframe perfectly. The 12-BS, being shorter, left a quite bit of room at the top. There is absolutely no hesitation in turning over the Firebolt. The 12-BS would strain for a second on the first compression stroke...not the 14BS...that extra 20CCA's (200 vs 180)makes a big difference. Although the 180CCA's from the tired Exide spins RB with ease.
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

My bike came with a Chrome 14BS and after about 2 months one day it was fine, next day it was nearly dead and wouldn't take a charge. The p.o. claimed he had just put it in, but he told me all kinds of bs so not sure how old it actually is. As far as I know this aside from being sealed is just a basic lead/acid battery, so am I correct in thinking that because of the laying on it's side orientation when installed in a Blast, you MUST use an AGM, Gel-Cell, etc? Possible explanation for the premature failure?
    Anyways I replaced it with a Scorpion YTX14H AGM 260CCA for $72 shipped. Had I known about that Chrome Pro AGM at that price I may very well have gone for that. But quite happy with this battery so far, very strong, spins it over as if there was no spark plug, has a 1yr warranty and since the shipper is in OR I received it in 2 days.

Name:	P1000453.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	5458

Name:	P1000456.jpg 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	5459

Name:	P1000455.jpg 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	5460

Name:	P1000452.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	5461

The Boss
    (Admin)
  13. Default

That Chrome Battery looks way older than 2 months; they're warrantied for 18 months. Do you still have it?

You need AGM or Gel. Sealed Lead-Acid does not do well when tipped.

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:

Like us on Facebook!

15. Default

From what I understand the AGM battery needs to be used in anything with harsh vibrations, or where if the battery failed, the battery acid wont get everywhere (like a car trunk or motorcycle) I have sold lead acid batteries for Harleys while working at Napa and you were lucky to get thru the riding season on it, we then started carrying the sealed AGM batteries and never really had a obvious problem with them. Hope this helps

- - - Updated - - -

And I had a lead acid in my 1989 ninja and when it was hot out I would have to worry about the acid boiling over and have to top it off
    Mr.McGraw

Lithium....love it....had it for 2.5 years at this point. On the Firebolt, I put a lithium in it after about 4 months....did well through the winter and is super strong right now.

18. Default

I forgot to note that alot of battery suppliers like the flooded batteries because they have a very long shelf life because you mix the acid in the battery and charge it when you buy it, compared to a gel cell that might be dead by the time its sold.
    Mr.McGraw