Thread:

Default TTO Digital Tachometer mod

Not enough info about this mod online, so I thought giving my semi-failed experience would help.

I wanted to add a tacho gauge, but didn't really wanted to spend the ~$100-$200 for a proper gage kit + 2-4 cylinder to 1 stroke converter.
    So, thinking that the TTO tacho will do the trick:
    http://www.amazon.com/Trail-Tech-723...ilpage_o05_s01

Installed it on top of my stock speedometer (yes, I know...) and wrapped the sensor wire over the spark plug wire.

Verdict :
    Accuracy is about +-1500 rpm, which is quite terrible. Maybe I am doing something wrong , but even after playing with the settings there is no change to the accuracy.
    I still think it looks cool (my neighbor thinks it looks ghetto though), but if you want to get it for reading your revs, you better look elsewhere.

Any thoughts?

I have attached some pics as a pdf doc ...
    Attached Files Attached Files

I think your wraps around the spark plug should be as tight as possible. not overlapping but should have no gap between the wires for you to see the sparkplug wire. Thats what the directions showed on the different brand i purchased on amazon that works great( being temramental but need to adjust the wrap location) http://www.amazon.com/Motormeters%C2...ilpage_o03_s00

but my best experience was when i had the tight wraps the closest you can to the coil boot. lemme know if that makes yours better

- - - Updated - - -

and mine has been rained on multiple times and has had no damage done to it

- - - Updated - - -

and your wire is closest to the spark plug, do it on the opposite closest to coil

Thank you - I will modify it this weekend and let you know if it gets better!

Quote Originally Posted by SmackNuts44 View Post
    I think your wraps around the spark plug should be as tight as possible. not overlapping but should have no gap between the wires for you to see the sparkplug wire. Thats what the directions showed on the different brand i purchased on amazon that works great( being temramental but need to adjust the wrap location) http://www.amazon.com/Motormeters%C2...ilpage_o03_s00

but my best experience was when i had the tight wraps the closest you can to the coil boot. lemme know if that makes yours better

- - - Updated - - -

and mine has been rained on multiple times and has had no damage done to it

- - - Updated - - -

and your wire is closest to the spark plug, do it on the opposite closest to coil
    Hello Mr. McGraw,
    Did your motometer brand tachometer you showed from link come with everything you needed to install.
    I'm wondering mainly of the wire and it's reach to the coil end of spark wire on my stock blast.
    Thanks for any info advice and help.
    Torx
    Last edited by Torx; 12-01-2016 at 10:16 PM.

O yeah it came with the Velcro and even zip ties to tie it to the spark plug wire. I installed mine on the coil side of the wire and it came with a ton of extra slack. I cut at least 2 foot off and have another foot of extra slack tucked away

Sent from my LG-H901 using Buell Riders Online mobile app

- - - Updated - - -

and you have to change the battery about every 4 months but if you waited until the battery totally dies its about 6 months

Thanks SmackNuts! I will be ordering one today. I just can't get along w/o a tach for some reason. Go figure. I'll be wanting a temp and oil pressure gauge before long.
    Never worried about a fuel gauge. I've always felt like filling up after half a tank anyways.
    Obviously I'm not a commuter.
    Thanks for the info. Be nice to have all this info in a heads up display on a pair of Serengeti daytime sun and night glare drivers glasses. With cell phone info in a heads up for important incoming calls.
    Sorry.. Back to the tach... Daydreaming again.
    Thanks for the info. I've easily made up my mind.

In the other thread... http://buellridersonline.com/forum/s...ll=1#post56963

I installed that tach. Worked perfect, simple install, comparing rpms to speed it looked perfectly accurate to me. I just took mine off because I'm converting to efi. If you want mine make an offer.