Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread:

Default Pirelli Diablos on.

I started this adventure over here but I think it's threadworthy.
    Behold!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	5163
    Front and rear Pirelli Diablo scooter tires from Amazon
    140/70-16 and 110/70-16 in size.
    I got my 03 Blast off Craigslist about a month ago and the front tire is an original Dunlop with 3900 miles on it and it shows some serious sidewall cracks near the bead.

Views:	12 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	5164
    It's like that about 1/2 way around both sidewalls. I think it may be from a combination of dry rot, over inflation by the previous owner (it had near 50psi), and the unbelievably bumpy road I live on.
    The rear is quite bald with unknown mileage but I assume less than the front because it's a Pirelli MT75.
    It was quite a trip but I managed to swap them both in my garage with simple tools.

Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	5165

Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	5166

Views:	13 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	5167

Bet it rides good with new shoes!!!

Default Nobody asked.

How you ask?
    Like eating an elephant it is. Just don't bite off more than you can chew. I admit, I thought I had a couple of times during this process. Just stay cool and use more zip ties or soapy water!
    I read a lot of the threads around tire installation and they helped a lot! I couldn't have done it without them. Big thanks to everyone who replied on my other thread!
    I went with some jack stands under the rear swing arm and this rig for the front.

Views:	9 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	5168
    I'm not proud of that but it's the best I could come up with using what I had. It worked and I was very cautious walking around and wrenching on the bike. I intend on a better setup next time.

You must remove the brake pads at least if you are removing the front wheel, which was pretty easy! I removed the caliper too but I shouldn't have.

I removed my valve stem cores before breaking the bead, not sure if it's necessary but past experiences have told me it helps.

I used a bar clamp to help break the bead and only had to pry to get the rear bead.

Views:	7 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	5169

Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	5170
    I always supported the rim with 2x4s to protect the sprocket and/or hub.
    After the bead is broken on both sides I slipped zip ties around the tire and cinched them tight, squishing the beads together. This was quite a hand workout!

Views:	8 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	5171
    I worked my way around the tire at least twice to tighten the ties tight enough to get the beads to touch.

Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	5172
    I used soapy water to lube during removal and installing, as well as bead setting. I cut some gallon milk jugs up to use as rim protectors. I found them useful to help the bead slide on or off the rim while prying as well as preventing scratches.
    Then cut as much of the zip tie head off as possible with some pliers/side cuts and carefully remove.
    Blast with air!
    I removed the valve stem core before breaking the bead, reinstalled after bead was set and tire deflated again.
    I used 55 total of 14 inch zip ties to remove and install each tire but I had to do the front tire twice... MIND THE DIRECTION ARROW when you install. I had to use 2 connected to fit the rear Diablo as it was much larger.Click image for larger version. 

Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	5173
    I didn't balance at all, I heard from a few people it's not worthwhile on cast wheels and lower speeds. I got up to 55 mph with no noticeable shake. I have only put 15 miles on the new tires but they seem to help with ride qualify on my terrible road at least. When the wind calms down I'll make another higher speed run.

Quick numbers:
    $166.98 for both tires shipped.
    $6.50 for 100 14 inch zip ties (55 used)
    $5 for valve core tool (optional?)
    $24 for set of 3 motion pro tire irons
    Total: $202.48 and I should have enough ties for another change.
    Saving $227 over local HD dealer to do it, tax not included.
    Time: about 7 hrs! Meaning my hourly rate was $32.43 for labor, lol.
    I spent at least 1.5 hrs trying to figure out how to lift the front safely. The rear went way faster because I had already done the front. Next time I could shave off at least 2 hrs.
    The money I saved almost covers a new intake and bits from Thumpe! Winter project...
    Last edited by Zoidberg; 11-09-2015 at 04:36 PM.

Zoid,

Learning to do anything on a bike is very profitable.

As you get faster over the years your hourly rate keeps going up.

Kenny
    *** 2009 Blast *** V&H Exhaust *** Dan's Intake System Along With Recommended Jetting By Dan *** Yellow Skins Purchased, New Old Stock, From Dealers Who Used Yellow Blasts For Riders Edge ***
    *** Pirelli Diablo Tire Front *** Pirelli ST 66 140 70S 16 Tire Rear***

*** Hope To Work On Suspension Next ***

Zoid, that's a great price. when i went and got the Michelin on my rear of the blast it cost close to 150 for parts & labor.

Great write up!
    SOLD - 2005 Blast - Blast Build Thread

08 XB12S - XB12S Build Thread

I've put a little over 50 miles on the new tires and I must say they are an upgrade. I haven't done anything too crazy yet, just commuting and a bit of back road exploring.
    The road I live on is so rough and uneven and I noticed a difference from the first ride in shock absorption. I assume it's due to the increase in tire volume and stiffer sidewalls on the Diablos.
    I also have an increased confidence in my ride knowing I have fresh rubber holding me to the road and I have started taking turns faster. Keep in mind I don't have experience with any other tires than the ones I took off, and I only have about 200 miles of road riding under my belt.
    I didn't balance the tires and I've gotten up to 60 mph before I notice any remote signs of a shake. At my current skill level I feel 60 is about as fast as I can handle, and isn't a long part of my normal commute.

Zoid,

New tires are loaded with Release Agent......
    If you haven't scrubbed the tires thoroughly, you best be careful on the corners and panic stops until you get a few more miles on the tires.

Kenny G
    *** 2009 Blast *** V&H Exhaust *** Dan's Intake System Along With Recommended Jetting By Dan *** Yellow Skins Purchased, New Old Stock, From Dealers Who Used Yellow Blasts For Riders Edge ***
    *** Pirelli Diablo Tire Front *** Pirelli ST 66 140 70S 16 Tire Rear***

*** Hope To Work On Suspension Next ***

Thanks for the info KennyG, I had no idea that was a thing. A quick google and these GSX-R guys claim Pirelli doesn't use a mold release agent. Most motorcycle tires don't(so says the internet) but an abundance of caution doesn't hurt, or doesn't hurt as much as laying her down.
    Everyone seems to reccomend a break in period of 100 miles before hard turning, quick acceleration or stopping.
    When I said taking turns faster I mean faster than my previous attempts, which is still slower than I would in a car. I'm a bit of a chicken.
    Last edited by Zoidberg; 11-12-2015 at 11:30 AM.

Noobie

Is it possible to get a wider tire on a Buell Blast. I have a '10 Blast and I need to buy new shoes. I want it to look a little more aggressive.