Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread:

Compression at 120psi (throttle fully open) seems low for a motor with a freshly rebuilt cylinder head. When you did that, did you use all new gaskets? HD or Cometic? Do you know what thickness you used? Did the cams get adjusted/moved at all? Pushrods put back in the right order? (one is longer than the other!)

I still think the jetting should be 45/175 for a bike with the intake/exhaust combo - running lean will feel really down on power, especially when you get up into the higher RPM's/throttle positions.

The Boss
    (Admin)

120psi does seem low. IIRC, a couple Blasts on here were at 130psi and required rebuild (Stang and Piratius?).

If it's a fresh rebuild, I would look at the cam timing.

I would also suspect the valves not properly seating, especially if it's not a new head.
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:
    2003 Blast (Blue), 2001 XBlast (Rex), 2007 XB9R Firebolt (Bolt)

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

Ok - so Nyghtfall has a modified stock intake (probably with a K&N) and an exhaust, but he's still at 45/170 with NO SHIMS. Yes, the compression is a little low - but he'll probably get a lot of power back if he puts in the 175 jet and shims the stock needle up .040".

-Now back to the low compression!-
    • If your battery is weak/low it will make compression numbers come out low, but wouldn't have any effect on the performance while running. Did you put any oil on the compression tester O-ring to ensure it was sealing? 20psi difference from closed throttle to fully open during testing is NOT very much :-/
    • If you removed the cams during the work, I agree with Lee and EZ - check the cam position.
    • If you didn't touch the cams, then I would verify static timing. The fact that adding oil didn't raise your compression means that the rings are most likely OK, which is good!
    • Where did you get the cylinder head from? Someone local, or from the internet?
    • Did you have a shop verify it was in good shape and check the valve job? Did they do any other work to the head at that time?
    • When you reassembled the rockerbox and pushrods, did you put the long pushrod towards the back, or at the front of the motor?
    • What gaskets did you use? For a stock rebuild, hopefully you got new Cometic gaskets rather than the paper HD style.
    • Did you check squish clearance when you did the rebuild?

With these thoroughly answered, we can keep going on helping you get it figured out!

well the HD gaskets wont give bad results because i rebuilt mine with HD stock gaskets and mine is at 200 PSI or 250 with oil. but i also closed the squish clearance and have a few other head related fun stuff.

How did you change the squish clearance with HD Gaskets? Did you omit the bottom gasket completely and use gasket maker/sealer?

It's just my personal preference for the cometic gaskets - they're multi-layer-steel, so they come off with no mess, and no need to scrape off old gasket material over and over every time you pull down the engine. The stock papery gaskets were a massive pain to clean off well enough to satisfy me, and if I never have to do it again, it'll be too soon!

-B

You are right, no base gasket and smaller head gasket, I actually didn't have any cleaning of old gaskets when I rebuilt. I think HD redid their gaskets because none of mine were paper but I don't think they were metallic either. They just seemed like normal automotive gaskets so I didn't really think to far into it lol

The new HD gaskets are an almost direct copy of Cometic gaskets - Lee and I were comparing them - lol
    EZ

Well that explains alot lol.

Yes it does! The stock ones that came off my 03 were a super dense paper type (tar paper? Who knows!) that stuck to everything - I tried different solvents on a rag, and ended up just very carefully scraping it all with a fresh razor blade. The cometic gaskets (and new HD style, I suppose) are all MLS - multi-layer steel, and those things are awesome in comparison!

-Brad