Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread:

Default Blast Missing left front motor mount bolt

Hi, I was just looking over my blast and noticed the left side of the front motor mount is missing it's bolt, I've been riding it prior to finding this and everything seems fine. How dangerous is it to ride missing this bolt? I also noticed that the bolt hole that goes into the head is chipped, I'm guessing the bike was dropped in the past. I would attach an image but not sure how to. Thanks

3. Default

You are talking about the bolt that is behind the frame? If looking at front of bike, it is on the lower right side of the "DO NOT REMOVE" bracket?

To post a picture, just click the third button from the right above the text box.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	4892

5. Default

Don't ride - will stress and could break the other bolts.
    EZ

Yes, that's the bolt, it goes through that do not remove piece into the cylinder, which is chipped. I ordered a replacement bolt, but I doubt it'll thread up with that chip, so I may be looking at a jug replacement.
    Thanks for the picture posting info, though I'm going through my phone and I don't have any forum options. I'll give it a look on my computer later.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks EZ, that's what I was afraid of. Now in case I need to replace the jug,(need to fix the famous rocker box leak anyways) how much time should I devote to taking the bike apart, at a minimum ? These Buells are a strange setup. I've worked on quads and full framed motorcycles before, but nothing like this. Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	4893 ahh, clicked on full site, now I have options.

9. Default

It looks like the bolt backed out and when it finally backed out to the edge, the motor dropped and the bolt took some of the jug with it - and it only looks like it took 1-2 threads out with it. There are several more threads inside, so I have no concerns about putting another bolt in there - it only takes 2-3 threads for full engagement, the other threads are just a bonus.

I would at least try and thread the new bolt, in which you will need to jack the engine up to get the bolt aligned. If you can get it to thread, take it out and put as much red loctite on it you can. Be aware that there is now a stress concentration at the chip, so it is more prone to fracture - and the fracture will propagate instantly in a cast part. Having said that, the factory torque spec is 60 ft-lbs, which to me is very tight for aluminum - the manual states that you should never even attempt to retighten the bolt because it may damage the threads, so they are brittle. I tightened mine to 45 ft-lbs with a lot of red loctite.

11. Default

I wouldn't worry about a chip like that just get a new bolt in there with some loktite and don't worry about it, if it damaged the threads coming out I would chase it with a tap, and gently thread the new bolt in till it's a couple threads deep

Sent from under the Blast

13. Default

I second what these guys are saying! Lift the motor on a jack very slightly so the holes line up, and test-fit a bolt. If it goes in smoothly and has 3-4 threads of engagement, pull it back out, put loctite on it, and then reinstall!

-Brad

Thanks for the help guys, the bolt I ordered should be here on Monday, guess while waiting on that, I'll get started with the tear down to replace that leaking rocker box gasket. Anything I should be worried about when doing that job? Or know of a way to take the head off without taking the frame off. Have to say I feel a little hesitant to do that job, go into fix one thing and it's never just that one thing...

- - - Updated - - -

apparently I'm confused... It's actually the push rod cover that's spewing oil, which is what I need to fix...

16. Default

Ok, you should replace the rocker box gasket while you're doing the pushrod cover job. The rocker box gasket known to leak when it gets old.

Also, you can replace the entire jug/piston/head/rocker box without taking the motor out of the frame. It's pretty simple, actually! Jack up the engine very slightly, remove the front HEIM, top cylinder head HEIM, and main isolator bolt. Lower the motor quite slowly, and everything gets easy to work on.

-B