Thread:

Default Rocker box to head bolts too long?

I'm putting the rocker box back on after replacing the head to box gasket which I found out has been updated again. It's now 16800-84B by the way. I was starting with the 4 large bolts that go from the box into the head. In chapter 3, page 34 of the repair manual, it shows 2 of the bolts being 5/16-18 x 2-3/4 and 2 being 5/16-18 x 2-1/2. I measured mine and all are the same at 2-3/4 long. It's a 2001 bike and appeared to have the updated "red" box gasket. Maybe the last person put longer bolts on the valve side? Whats funny weird is I felt like the ones on the push rod side would be the shorter ones. Those don't thread by hand as easy at the end.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for the help!

The Boss
    (Admin)
  3. Default

What color is 16800-84B? If it's the black gasket, the dealer was wrong. The orange rubberized gasket is the newest one.

As for the bolts, if they go all the way in then I wouldnt worry about it.
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:
    2003 Blast (Blue), 2001 XBlast (Rex), 2007 XB9R Firebolt (Bolt)

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

It is the black metal one with 16800-84B stamped on it. So can you still get the orange one from the dealer? The orange one 16800-84A was what was on mine before.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet-Lee View Post
    What color is 16800-84B? If it's the black gasket, the dealer was wrong. The orange rubberized gasket is the newest one.

As for the bolts, if they go all the way in then I wouldnt worry about it.

The Boss
    (Admin)
  6. Default

You want the orange one, they should still stock it.
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:
    2003 Blast (Blue), 2001 XBlast (Rex), 2007 XB9R Firebolt (Bolt)

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!