Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread:

The Boss
    (Admin)
  2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dbest1a View Post
    Lower left [clutch] side , under the tank. Little Black switch.. straight up is off.. fwd is on n back is reserve.
    This is the direction of the arrow.

The tab that you actually move is opposite. Move the tab toward the back (points arrow forward) for ON, toward the front for RESERVE and straight down for OFF.
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:
    2003 Blast (Blue), 2001 XBlast (Rex), 2007 XB9R Firebolt (Bolt)

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

4. Default

And like others have said - if you leave it set to "reserve", thinking you'll get the extra miles, you'll suck any sludge or crud from the tank straight down into the carb. If/when that happens, you'll have to pull the tank/petcock/carb apart to get the crap out. Only use the reserve when it starts stumbling/popping from being out of gas!

But definitely get used to flipping reserve without getting off the bike - even if you need to pull over and lean forward, it's pretty accessible! Once you do it a few times, you'll get the hang of it and will probably be able to do it while moving (which is not technically safe!).

-Brad

The Boss
    (Admin)
  6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by piratius View Post
    be able to do it while moving (which is not technically safe!).
    Quit trying to take the fun out of it! lol
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

8. Default

My 2 cents worth.

Is it safer to stop in the middle of a lane of traffic moving 70 MPH to flip on the reserve? LOL There is no safe way to run out of gas unexpectedly.

Keep an eye on the odometer and try not to hit reserve

I practice switching the petcock to reserve on both bikes on every ride. Especially learn to do it in the winter if you wear mittens or heavy gloves.

Kenny
    *** 2009 Blast *** V&H Exhaust *** Dan's Intake System Along With Recommended Jetting By Dan *** Yellow Skins Purchased, New Old Stock, From Dealers Who Used Yellow Blasts For Riders Edge ***
    *** Pirelli Diablo Tire Front *** Pirelli ST 66 140 70S 16 Tire Rear***

*** Hope To Work On Suspension Next ***

The Boss
    (Admin)
  10. Default

To practice...

Go to a closed course (have to say that for liability reasons) where the are no other cars or traffic
    Turn fuel off and start bike and putter around on just the fuel in the carb.
    As you feel the bike start cutting out, reach down and flip to reserve.

If the bike dies, simply turn the fuel to ON and start it back up.

BE CAREFUL!!

This will help you recognize what the bike feels like when it's running out of fuel and where your valve is with gloves on.

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:

Like us on Facebook!

12. Default

I always run set on reserve, it helps though to keep track of your mileage.
    EZ

Commuter
  14. Default

Even stock I never got more than 110 miles before having to switch to reserve... It's more like 90 miles now with the Jardine and rejetting. Then again, I do ride it like a 24 year old adrenaline junkie...

16. Default

How you ride greatly affects the mileage - lol
    EZ

18. Default

my buddy has a custom build that has a visible gauge from the outside that i thought about doing but then said meh. but it looks like thisClick image for larger version. 

Name:	fuel-sight-gauge-photo-8.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	5278
    Mr.McGraw