Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread:

2. Default

Thanks for making this thread. My belt broke today in the middle of nowhere, 35 miles from civilization in either direction and no cell phone service out there. I was by myself so I had to stash the Blast in the woods and walk about 15 miles until I got a signal and called for a ride. Hopefully a hunter doesn't find it and use it for target practice. If I had a place to buy a belt local I could put it on out there and drive it back. Looks I'll have to pay to get it trucked back since there isn't a Harley shop locally. I'm glad it's an easy install though.

Racer
  4. Default

Didn't realize how easy it will be to put a new belt on

Mine broke today on my way to work

Sorry, but that is a very destructive way to put a belt on. Belt goes on from the inside of the pulley. Putting it on over the belt guard will shorten belt life, perhaps very dramatically. Either way its not that hard to do, so do it the gentler way.

Mechanic
  7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    Sorry, but that is a very destructive way to put a belt on. Belt goes on from the inside of the pulley. Putting it on over the belt guard will shorten belt life, perhaps very dramatically. Either way its not that hard to do, so do it the gentler way.
    Never tried from the other side, but I presume it would be just as easy.

By the way, It seems as though I have the rear tire off constantly and have always taken it off and on this way without any problems. Those belts have no problem with that type of stress.

9. Default

I remove/install mine like this:

Remove- push the belt inwards towards the wheel from the big pulley while turning the wheel. It creeps off smoothly. Then you can remove it from front pulley

Install- put it between the big pulley and wheel. Then loop it up to the front pulley. Then slowly creep it up onto the big pulley and rotate the wheel. It slips up onto it nicely.

Thats the way its done!

Just because your belt hasnt broken yet doesnt mean it isnt destructive and there is a gentler way to do it (per the manual). Its an old mechanics trick to pop belts on and off over the pulley lip, often with the engine running. There's even at least one on youtube showing a guy put a belt on and off an old VW with the engine running and with a screwdriver! But its not the right way to do it because you shorten belt life. It seems to me a lot more Blast riders complain about belt breakage than anybody else. So why increase the risk when its not necessary?