Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread:

2. Default

Lee,

The idle does slow down after the AE is finished, but as soon as I advance the throttle it the engine starts racing at several 1000 RPMs.

I took the air filter off and the butterfly completely closes when the throttle is turned to the idle position. The slide moves up and down, but rather slow.

Is it possible the idle jet is dirty from ethanol gasoline?

What does the Throttle Position Sensor do?

Is it prone to failure?

Kenny G
    Last edited by KennyG; 11-17-2018 at 02:09 PM.
    *** 2009 Blast *** V&H Exhaust *** Dan's Intake System Along With Recommended Jetting By Dan *** Yellow Skins Purchased, New Old Stock, From Dealers Who Used Yellow Blasts For Riders Edge ***
    *** Pirelli Diablo Tire Front *** Pirelli ST 66 140 70S 16 Tire Rear***

*** Hope To Work On Suspension Next ***

The Boss
    (Admin)
  4. Default

It still sounds like a vac leak.
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:
    2003 Blast (Blue), 2001 XBlast (Rex), 2007 XB9R Firebolt (Bolt)

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

6. Default

Lee,

Before we removed the carburetor we went over the intake with a propane torch with out lighting the flame and went over the exhaust with a candle and could not find any leaks...

My Harley mechanic friend disassembled the carb and found the emulsion tube and needle in good shape. The throttle plate is in good shape and functions smoothly. The slide is smooth and without play. The jets are all completely open. There is no tear or holes in the diaphragm.

When the engine is racing the slide is in the full down position and the butterfly is completely closed. The only possible source of gasoline is the Automatic Enrichener. Disconnecting the enriichener from the Blast the idle is at normal speed. It doesn't run very good with the enrichener disconnected because the Throttle Position Sensor is part of the same circuit. I can go around the block and the speed is normal...….

Before this problem started I installed a new spark plug and a new coil wire from NAPA. The coil wire is a little longer than the OEM coil wire. Is it possible the electric in the coil wire could interfere with the signal passing through the auto enrichener?

Kenny G
    Last edited by KennyG; 11-22-2018 at 12:53 AM.
    *** 2009 Blast *** V&H Exhaust *** Dan's Intake System Along With Recommended Jetting By Dan *** Yellow Skins Purchased, New Old Stock, From Dealers Who Used Yellow Blasts For Riders Edge ***

The Boss
    (Admin)
  8. Default

Take out the AE, mark the collar current position, tighten down the collar so it's not open at all (even when cold). Cold idle will be very difficult, but bring the engine up to temp and see how it runs.

Without an O2 sensor, you don't know if it's racing due to extra air or fuel; either can do it.

The plug wire would not interfere with the TPS. The AE is not a signal that's referenced anywhere, it's only a heating element; connect power, it gets hot and pushes out.
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

10. Default

Lee,

Thank You.

Do you remember a posting about how to convert the Automatic Enrichener into a Manual Enrichener?

Kenny G

The Boss
    (Admin)
  12. "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:

Like us on Facebook!

14. Default

The initial test indicates that a new Auto Enrichener has corrected the problem. I will have to install the air cleaner and go for a test ride to be certain.

Kenny G

16. Default

I filled the tank with ethanol free unleaded gasoline, and reinstalled the Dan's Air Filter. Started the bike up today and the Auto Enrichener kicked in right away. I had continuous spitting back through the carburetor for the first couple of minutes. When fast idle backed off I hopped on the bike and went for a ride. The engine was really rough running for the first few miles. I stopped a couple of times to adjust the idle speed. The only noticeable difference in engine performance today from a few months ago is that when coming into a stop it takes a few seconds for the idle speed to return to idle. I am thinking the carburetor needs some fine tuning and I have forgotten how to adjust the idle air screw.

Kenny G