Thread:

Noobie
  2. Default Shifter Detent Plate and clips

Hello all.

I'm looking for a source for a new shifter detent plate and clips for my 02 Blast.

My bike won't go into 3rd gear, and I already replaced the clutch cable and adjusted the clutch and primary chain to no avail. This seems like the next logical step.

Bike has about 15k miles, but they were very poorly maintained miles. I dragged this one out of someone's back yard and removed water from it to get it to run.

The Boss
    (Admin)
  4. Default

BuellMods will have a parts manual to get the part number(s).

St Paul H-D has Buell parts as well as Surdyke and New Castle H-D, when you search by part number.
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:
    2003 Blast (Blue), 2001 XBlast (Rex), 2007 XB9R Firebolt (Bolt)

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

Noobie
  6. Default

Thanks! I called the dealer in New Castle, DE and I didn't get a very helpful response. There was nothing new I saw on eBay, either.

I ordered a detent plate and 2 clips. I previously found a new cover gasket and clutch inspection gasket set on eBay for about $25 or so. This should be about all I need besides the tools to complete this job, correct? I'm hoping this corrects the shifting issue and it doesn't need a drum. It's locked out of third gear completely right now.

The Boss
    (Admin)
  8. Default

I would first try to adjust the shifter pawl. This is a common problem with previous-Riders Edge bikes and that's usually the cure.

Though it should be noted that some have had to split the case and replace the shift drum and/or a fork or two.

You shouldn't have to call, all three above should have online ordering available. Whenever you deal with a Harley dealer for parts, DO NOT mention Buell or they go Exorcist on you, they turn dumb. Just say "it's for a custom project, I have part numbers." If they refuse to look it up by part number, go somewhere else; I've even found a lot of parts on Amazon.

The parts you're looking for are
    33656-90A - Plate, Detent (get 1)
    11019 - Retaining Ring (get 2)
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

Noobie
  10. Default

Thanks. Everything arrived in the mail yesterday and I'm ready to go ahead and tackle the job. Since I got a detent plate and 2 clips, I'm going to just replace them anyway because I'm already in there and it looks like all of the hard work will already be done to get to them.

I just have 2 questions.

The two large bolts that require thin-wall sockets. I'm a diesel mechanic, and I have these sockets but they are both impact sockets. Are these sockets "harbor freight"able? I'll go and buy them there if they are known to fit the application but I don't see a need to or want to spend $200 on the tool truck.

Can I remove those bolts with an impact instead of having to lock the assembly into place to keep it from turning? I've been able to use an impact in the past on metric bikes instead of wedging screwdrivers and the like to keep clutch baskets in place.

If I remember correctly, a old door hinge is the right size and soft enough to hold the gears in place without marring.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Noobie
  13. Default

Pins are in and level. New detent plate and clip installed. Apparently the trans has to be in 3rd gear to adjust the pawl, but I am still locked out of third. Whats going on?

Noobie
  15. Default

Who wants this junk for parts?

The Boss
    (Admin)
  17. Default

Yes you can impact the nuts/bolts off/on.

The next step is a complete engine/trans tear down. It's probably a dented shift drum or bent fork, or both. I don't know how some people ruin these so badly.

Now I need to go find myself a new 3rd gear...

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:

Like us on Facebook!