Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread:

Since your rewiring, I'm about to do the same, can I relocate the front motor to frame ground to where the air box bracket bolt was then run it to a ground bus then bus to negative terminal? Don't want to have a bad ground. The front one after I replaced it with a wire that was not flexible enough broke and then grounded through the harness melting half of it😠

Posted from my Buell using Buell Riders Online mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by blastardpaul View Post
    Since your rewiring, I'm about to do the same, can I relocate the front motor to frame ground to where the air box bracket bolt was then run it to a ground bus then bus to negative terminal? Don't want to have a bad ground. The front one after I replaced it with a wire that was not flexible enough broke and then grounded through the harness melting half of it��

Posted from my Buell using Buell Riders Online mobile app
    I replied to your other thread.

- - - Updated - - -

has anyone successfully removed/relocated the top motor mount? it is causing an unimaginable amount of grief with my gas tank fabrication, and I hate it.
    i'm assuming the answer is "deal with it and get back to work", but would love input.
    Last edited by miktweedie; 08-29-2017 at 06:38 PM.

anyone got an answer on this?

The Boss
    (Admin)
  5. Default

Have you looked at the small brackets we make to adapt XB heads to Blast frames? Maybe something similar to mount it somewhere else.

Part of your problem is that the engine is a stressed member of the frame, so you can't just remove the joint entirely.
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:
    2003 Blast (Blue), 2001 XBlast (Rex), 2007 XB9R Firebolt (Bolt)

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

that makes sense, thanks. I'll look into brackets and relocation.

man, I cant wait to finish this damn thing, haha.

The Boss
    (Admin)
  8. Default

I'll have to look when I get home, but is it possible to lower the bracket on the frame vertically and then mount the heim joint from the bottom of the boss on the head? Should be able to tap straight through, iirc.
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

10. Default

Nice build. Looking forward to the finished product.

Ok, so I haven't updated this in forever, and honestly its because I haven't put any effort into the build. I ended up getting diagnosed with another brain aneurysm, and subsequently had brain surgery. I've been off work, off the gym, off of pretty much everything for months... until now!

the wiring is complete, the bike runs, and now I need to finish the biggest puzzle of all: The friggin gas tank. between the top engine mount, the carb, the turning radius and the wiring harness, it is fairly obvious why NOBODY makes an aftermarket tank.

I found this old tank a year ago, and had started modifying it to fit. the original shape can be seen in the pics on page 1 for reference. I shortened it 4 inches, and re-radiused the back to square it up. then I modified the front to accommodate the oil filler, and to sit at a better height. Due to the shape of the frame and all the nonsense associated with it, I opted to gut the tank completely and retain only the upper shell. 22 individual pieces later, it is finally starting to look like a tank again.

From here, I mounted it up and realized there is no good way to route the wiring harness so that is gonna get relocated, but I have a bigger problem... due to the geometry of running clip-ons, the bike now has zero turning radius. Next step will be to cut, scallop and re-radius the front corners of the tank to make it fit. Needless to say, it definitely crossed my mind that this is WAY more work than this bike is worth, but whatever.

Pics help show the carnage, and the progress. I may actually get to ride this thing one day!!!

The Boss
    (Admin)
  13. Default

Wow man, glad you're still with us, scary shit!

Tank is looking good! Gotta agree, though, clip-ons make everything really friggin difficult. Enjoying watching this develop!

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:

Like us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Jet-Lee View Post
    Wow man, glad you're still with us, scary shit!

Tank is looking good! Gotta agree, though, clip-ons make everything really friggin difficult. Enjoying watching this develop!
    Thanks man, certainly wasn't how I was planning to spend my summer. Got this sweet new haircut, though. haha.