Thread:

Default Air Intake Cover Mounting Problems

Hello,
    Kind of a trivial question but hopefully this is an easy fix.
    On the left side of stock 09 Blast there is a cover that makes bike look better and has an opening that allows air into the air filter.
    It has 2 mounting points.
    The upper one is a rubber grommet with a threaded insert and the lower appears that it should screw into a similar rubber insert with a hex screw into the frame.

My Blast's factory mounting components are in bad shape, especially the lower mounting threaded receptacle for lack of a better word.
    Has anyone ran into this situation and does anyone have any suggestions for properly replace these mounting points while maintaining the rubber mounting vibration properties?

I hope this isn't a crazy sounding request as mine hangs by the one upper bolt and I'm afraid that it will fly off the bike one day.
    Thanks for any advice.
    Torx

When I screwed up one of my rubber inserts, I was able to find a replacement at NAPA.
    Replacement uses a regular bolt and not the factory one.

Thanks FM. I imagined I'd be rigging something up. I imagine many Blast owners run into this as it's removed and replaced like the breather or air box quite a lot.

Default Crazy Questions about air intake cover.

I found a perfect fit to replace the upper bolt with the rubber shock grommet. TY for the suggestion FMDUAL.

The lower attachment point for the cover is a different story. On my Blast it screws into a rubber grommet type apparently metric threaded receptacle inside the frame.

I haven't found a way to get inside the frame to replace it and the rubber grommet is shredded. It's probably the most removed hex head bolt on my bike and the frame is solid and unreachable.
    Unless anyone has a better idea, I'm going to use a rigged up piece of Velcro or very tacky 2 sided tape. I have attached a photo of the bolt I'm talking about. It's the bolt circled in red if I can get my cheap phone to insert here.
    Perhaps just thread the bolt hole somehow. I'm sure I'm missing an easy fix.

I'm trying to keep mine as stock as possible to maybe sell this spring and move up to a XB series. I'm not getting any skinnier lol
    Or I see a new intake in my future.

Thanks for any advice and for no lol's about a trivial matter.
    Torx
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photomagic(1)(1).jpg