Thread:

2. Default Meep meep

I installed a stebel nautilus airhorn on my xb. I was tired of cagers not seeing or hearing me.
    https://youtu.be/2EScHiQ2eLE

The horn comes as one unit. I separated the horn from the compressor. I mounted the compressor inside the air box and then ran air hose to the horn on my fork at fly screen level.
    It is fused, relayed, has a dedicated 12ga power and ground, and is switched off the factory horn power. Factory horn still works in case I need to pull the fuse on the airhorn (I've heard the relay that comes with the horn can fail). Also there is a delay when you hit the button as the compressor has to spin up and fill the hose with compressed air before the horn works. So, factory horn works instantly for a polite beep beep, if someone suddenly lost half their iq I can lay on the horn to help them find their points.
    Last edited by mik; 10-26-2016 at 08:39 PM.

4. Default

Mik,

Without pics no one is going to believe you....LOL

Kenny G
    *** 2009 Blast *** V&H Exhaust *** Dan's Intake System Along With Recommended Jetting By Dan *** Yellow Skins Purchased, New Old Stock, From Dealers Who Used Yellow Blasts For Riders Edge ***
    *** Pirelli Diablo Tire Front *** Pirelli ST 66 140 70S 16 Tire Rear***

*** Hope To Work On Suspension Next ***

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by KennyG View Post
    Mik,

Without pics no one is going to believe you....LOL

Kenny G
    A picture is worth a thousand words. How much is the linked YouTube video of it worth?

Edit: and yes I will take pics and upload them.
    Last edited by mik; 10-27-2016 at 01:39 AM.

8. Default

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161102_103757.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	5610
    This is where I mounted the factory horn, on the oil cooler bracket. Part way up the yellow wire, trigger/power from horn switch, I tied in a wire to send signal to my air horn.

Name:	20161102_103804.jpg 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	5611
    This is up front on the left side. You can see power to my hid next to the clear air hose that runs from the compressor in my air box to the horn on my right fork. It runs under the frame and gets close to the engine so I slipped some Mylar heat blanket sheathing to protect it from melting.

Name:	20161102_103918.jpg 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	5612
    Here is the compressor mounted inside the air box. It is bolted to the bottom plate. The foam is to let the compressor rest on the air box base plate since the bolt is on a standoff that kinda leaves it hanging out there. I ran power, ground, signal and air hose through a hole I drilled in the base plate. I replaced the relay that came with the kit with a new 30a relay. There were multiple reviews that the supplied relay failed in the open position, leaving the air horn on constantly.

Name:	20161102_103933.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	5613
    Under the air box base plate. Power and ground go straight back to the battery. Fused 12g wire. The signal wire goes forward to the factory horn. Air hose down and forward under the frame. I'll be taking the slack out of the signal wire.

Name:	20161102_103946.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	5614
    The air hose goes behind the headlights and through the triple tree and forks so there is no pinching lock to lock.

Name:	20161102_103955.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	5615
    Here is the actual air horn. I added a hose barb up top. I secured it to the right fork with zipties. It weighs maybe a couple ounces since it's hollow plastic. I'd love to have a cleaner mounting solution, but I don't have one. Don't talk shit about my zipties unless you have a viable mounting solution.
    Last edited by mik; 11-04-2016 at 04:46 PM.

10. Default

Ha! I went for a test ride and test honk. I plugged in my stock horn too. I had kept that, as mentioned above, so that I could politely beep at people if I tapped the button briefly, then lay on it for an audible correction of retarded behavior. Well that didn't work out, the delay between the hella electric horn and the airhorn is only marginally perceptible. Only one time was I able to tap and release the horn button quick enough to get a meep from the electric horn and not activate the air horn. Additionally, I got on the freeway to test and hit the button and startled myself with how loud it is. I wear radians custom molded ear plugs to cut out wind noise and I used to not even hear but the faintest meep from my stock horn on the freeway. I can't wait to test it on my commute tomorrow!

12. Default

LOL that would be fun to have. I looked into putting one on my bike fore a while and might just have to do it to the tuber while its apart. That thing is loud!
    Mr.McGraw