Thread:

Default Blast carb expert needed. AE passage not drilled out?

Hey guys, long story short, ever since I've had this blast it's been extremely difficult to start. Once started it runs like a dream. And once warm it starts back up easily. Running 46/175 for jetting and a superboot. Idle air screw set 2.5 turns out. Timing verified.

I have suspected the AE as my starting problem, so I replaced it with no luck. Then I started looking into the AE passage to see if it was clogged. I BELIEVE what I circled in red in the picture is the passage where the AE picks up fuel from the float bowl. Is that correct ? And if so, it is blocked by a metal plug which makes me think it was never drilled out from the factory. Let me know !

http://imgur.com/a/WyCLW

http://imgur.com/a/WyCLW
    Last edited by modrummer; 03-17-2018 at 01:19 AM.

Ok guys got it fig red out. Ignore the picture I posted above. Was in a hurry and didn't do my due diligence. However i was on the right track! The picture below is the starter jet, it was never drilled out in my carb (was a metal-blocked passage. I drilled it with a 1/16 drill bit and the bike now starts perfectly.

http://imgur.com/joBF1cs

Hey everyone. Firstly yes I know this thread is a couple years old so I apologize for bumping it to the top, but is there any validity to this thread? There were no other responses.

This is my exact situation except I'm running 45/170 jets. Bike will not start cold without a ton of cranking and usually a splash of gas in the carb. I verified the enrichener is functioning. But I do not get the "high idle' when starting. Once warm this bike runs amazing and if restarted hot will start right away.

I'll be opening the carb up again in the morning to check but this situation is getting very old.

Quote Originally Posted by dmaxfireman View Post
    Hey everyone. Firstly yes I know this thread is a couple years old so I apologize for bumping it to the top, but is there any validity to this thread? There were no other responses.

This is my exact situation except I'm running 45/170 jets. Bike will not start cold without a ton of cranking and usually a splash of gas in the carb. I verified the enrichener is functioning. But I do not get the "high idle' when starting. Once warm this bike runs amazing and if restarted hot will start right away.

I'll be opening the carb up again in the morning to check but this situation is getting very old.
    For anybody who comes across this thread,

Tore down the whole carb and that orifice was plugged solid, I missed it when I rebuilt the carb the first time. Bike was dropped with 1100 miles on it and was parked for over a decade without draining the fuel. Soaked the starter jet for a couple hours then used a wire from a wire brush to clear it. Starts like a dream now, warm or cold.

The Boss
    (Admin)

This is interesting. I've always blown out that hole with carb cleaner so I know mine wasn't plugged. Will add this to the troubleshooting checklist for sure.
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:
    2003 Blast (Blue), 2001 XBlast (Rex), 2007 XB9R Firebolt (Bolt)

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!