Thread:

Default 2001 Blast Noob - Advice

Hey there everyone - new member here. Let me break this down for you:
    - I am a total noob motorcycle rider
    - Got my license so I could ride through Yellowstone this past summer with my son on rented bikes before he deployed (am retired military myself)
    - 3 weeks before my boy deploys, he 'surprises' me with a 2001 Blast...that...needed work
    - I can build almost anything, but cars/engines is where I lose my 'man points', so I took it to the nearest Harley dealer
    - The gift from my boy ended up running me $2k to get it running (well, that included knobby tires, since we live on a mountain)

I will say that I LOVE this damn bike. Easy, light, nimble... However, I keep running into issues...
    - Had a new carb boot put on at the shop, but I keep having starting issues when cold. If I try to start with open throttle a couple of times, and then close throttle, it will kick over...but it definitely takes 4-5 times to make this happen.
    - Wobble: I have this weird 'wobble' at 35-45 MPH. My son, who is an experienced rider, noticed the same thing. Thought it was neck bearings - nope. Not a balance issue either....thoughts?

Last question/topic: Mods!
    - I want to get rid of the OEM filter and put a Dan Airbox on it - impressions? Other ideas?
    - I've already upgraded the headlight...that OEM thing sucks for old eyes..
    - I really want to change out the exhaust....looking for inexpensive recommendations. Since I am up on a mountain, I'd like to reroute it to be more like a dual-sport...

In a bloody big nutshell, looking for general advice from the group on how to keep my 'Muell' (as the boys on the mountain now call it) running, nimble and fun....

3. Default

Welcome to the fun! I will say that once you start modding your Blast, you will become very familiar with the workings. It's a pretty simple design since there is only one cylinder to work with. If you want exhaust that's more like a dual sport, it will be completely custom. All of the aftermarket exhausts keep everything underneath the bike like the stock exhaust is routed.
    Jim Hungate
    MSF #27339

Thanks, brother. Yep - I know it will have to be custom. Wanted a good idea of a pipe that folks have had success with overall, before I order one and start to plot and scheme what other materials I need for the reroute.

6. Default

I've got the Jardine system on mine. I remember seeing a thread where someone built custom exhaust like you're wanting, but I don't remember who it was.

- - - Updated - - -

It looks like there's a couple in this thread that are what you're looking for . . . .
    http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...tml?1326732487
    Jim Hungate
    MSF #27339