Thread:

Default First oil change and a little about my blast

I got this 2000 blast as my first bike off craigslist and for a steal! The guy was selling it for $1000 and I got him to sell it for $700 with free delivery to my house. He knew giving it to me, it'd be taken care of.

The bike could barely hold an idle to save its life even with messing with the choke. Any throttle instantly shut it down. Brake fluid was discolored and old. I could imagine the tranny fluid hadn't been changed. The air filter was discolored and reeked of oil. Lastly, the carb showed signs of corrosion. Otherwise, great condition aside from the gash on one of the rearsets! Lmao

Following the philosophy of "start with the cheap solutions." And looked at trouble shooting on the forum. The air filter was cleanable to my total happiness and washed it with dish soap. I checked DAS BOOT and no cracks or sign of wear shockingly. Learned how to take the gas tank off and checked the spark plug. It was OEM and prettu fouled lmao. Cleaned it with seafoam overnight, dried it and reinstalled it. Seafoamed the gas and some in the oil. Started it up and sprayed seafoam in carb this morning

It hesitated then fired right up with a solid idle and a happy young adult cheering. And then the oil cap started bubbling out the sides and I shut it down. Whoops.

So now, night time, here I am changing the oil. At first, I couldn't find the two tubes for the life of me but the hanger screw disconnected and they were in the back of the wheel well. Grabbed the tank, took the caps andddd a slow drizzle. I couldn't let go of the tubes or they wouldn't make it in the tank. Here comes the long haul, I thought. Until I had a strike of brilliance and laziness and grabbed my oil funnel and tada!

Now, I wait for the oil to drain out and refill it with fresh 20w50 and see how well of an idle we can maintain.

Thanks for reading!

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

Note to self: Remember to install oil caps back on or you'll make a really big mess and have to go to Wal-Mart to buy cat litter and clean it.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 1banger View Post
    Note to self: Remember to install oil caps back on or you'll make a really big mess and have to go to Wal-Mart to buy cat litter and clean it.

LOL - how many miles - you might consider doing the transmission oil - takes 9/10ths of a qt - same stuff, you can slow fill through the trans vent hole, or do a bit of work and acurately fill through the side cover - a good cheat is to drill a hole in the peg arm to the inspection cover screw blocked by the arm. Don't loose the spring! - lol
    EZ

That sounds like a nice bike, needing a little bit of TLC. I'd like to get one soon, to tootle around on, not having to use my 1125Cr for going around, it's a bit of overkill on the streets.