Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread:

2. Default

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170129_050419.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	5726
    Intake and throttle body together as one.

Name:	20170129_050436.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	5727
    Another angle.

Name:	20170304_065752.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	5728
    All bolted up. All the wiring tucked up in there, fuel lines run, filter on. And look you can even see my ignition module cover Jetlee made for me.
    Hayabusa muthaf##ka!

03 Blast- 515cc, p/p head, cams, fuel injection, rear sets, suspension stuff, michelins, aesthetics
    07 xb12stt- K&N, two o2 sensors, michelins, Galfers, mik'd muffler

"Das Boot" != "The Boot," a.k.a. the infamous Blast carb to intake boot
    "Das Boot" == German for "The Boat," also a movie about a ww2 u-boat

The Boss
    (Admin)
  4. Default

Lemme know how that PLA cover holds up to the engine heat.
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:
    2003 Blast (Blue), 2001 XBlast (Rex), 2007 XB9R Firebolt (Bolt)

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

6. Default

Great work on that project!
    Jim Hungate
    MSF #27339

8. Default

Nice - where did you put your re-circ line for fuel?
    EZ

The Boss
    (Admin)
  10. Default I'm afraid I have no clever name for my bike, so: Mik's 2003 Buell Blast Build

The hose running up the tank.

Posted from my Buell using Buell Riders Online mobile app
    "It is impossible, until some crazy son of a bitch has the audacity to believe that no matter what the expert says, I can still do that shit." - C.T. Fletcher

Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:
    2003 Blast (Blue), 2001 XBlast (Rex), 2007 XB9R Firebolt (Bolt)

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

12. Default

Time for an update. I'm afraid I don't have a lot of time for test rides, and I'm not comfortable just riding to work right out of the gate on something I change so many things on. I've actually had a couple failures/fixes in the last couple months...

First, on a test ride I had to ride home in third because the bolts backed out and I lost the shift linkage. *sigh* I usually loctite the heck out of everything with red, but I guess not those bolts. I stole the linkage from my XB since it's down right now.

Went for another test ride and the bike straight up died. Well, I had always planned on constructing a new intake manifold from scratch made of steel, and my cobbled together aluminum intake said now was the time. The aluminum welds that took forever, didn't have enough penetration and it cracked all the way around the joining seam from the blast intake to the modified XB intake.

I'll post new pics of the steel intake but it's way superior. The transition from TB to my intake is about as perfect as you can get, there is no bump. The intake smoothly tapers down to the intake port size on the cylinder head. I also bought a steel injector bung and pointed the injector at the back of the intake valve. This way the cold fuel will hit the hot intake valve area and atomize better. It'll also help keep the intake valve cool.
    The new intake has a better, straighter airflow path, has a better air filter location, better fuel line routing, pretty much everything is nice and neatly tucked out of the way now. Plus it's about an inch longer so that'll be nice for some velocity.

Theeeen my fuel hose to the fuel rail popped off and sprayed fuel all over the bike. That was exciting as it wet the road and my rear tire. Slippy, but no crash. The fuel clamp pinched the hose, creating a little spot for fuel to leak in and lube it up and off popped the hose. It didn't help that the factory 'barb' isn't really barbed as it's meant for a different style of clip. I welded a small lip around the tip of the 'barb' to actually make it a barb and I used my favorite oetiker clamps. It's not going anywhere now.

Right now it fires up and idles perfectly. It sounds great, runs great. I'm just taking baby steps for a shake down. Laps around town while datalogging, do some tuning, do some more datalogging. Each trip is progressively longer. Eventually I'll go on a trip the length of my commute and back. Then I can actually enjoy my riding.

Pics to follow of the new mods.
    Hayabusa muthaf##ka!

03 Blast- 515cc, p/p head, cams, fuel injection, rear sets, suspension stuff, michelins, aesthetics

hey mik! how long did it take for your welds to crack? I had an extra carb an manifold that I fitted together with some exhaust pipe and jb welded it lol. it has worked really well so far and I want to go ahead and use my other carb and intake to make something more permanent. just wanted to see if you had any input for me. I have a fab shop down the road from my house that let's me use their tig welder (usually one of the guys at the shop will weld for me since I'm not very good at it lol) should I figure out a way to do it in steel? idk how u would weld the carb to a steel intake. nice build I really like it

15. Default

You can braze aluminum and steel together but not weld. I don't think I'd want to heat the carb up to the point it could be welded.

My weld failed after thirty miles or so. Might have lasted for quite a while if I had the tb supported by a bracket.
    Hayabusa muthaf##ka!

OK I'll see what I can come up with. the way I have it set up with the exhaust pipe and jb weld and a brace has lasted quite a lot of miles to my surprise I have to carry the other carb,manifold, and boot with me when I ride lol but so far no issues other than horrible fuel economy. which I'm assuming is the float being wrong and the aftermarket needle being shimmer too much.not sure what could be causing it. it has good power fat all stages of throttle and top speed in all gears is correct. I fixed the jetting and the exhaust leak but it has me stumped I'm only getting about 63 miles before having to hit reserve