Poll: Which Blast replacement do you like better?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread:

we already knnow Hardly isn't interested in building yardsticks or anything that perfoms worth a damn. it all boils down to what will sell like hotcakes and put the most money in HD's execs pockets. Buell didn't provide a profit margin large enough to pad their pockets so they can it. why spend ALOT of money to R&D a bike that cost a lot to Manufacture that wont sell well when you can slap together an uninspired hunk of AMERICAN STEEL! and sell it like hotcakes to all the yuppies and wannabe bad asses

I bet more R&D went into color choices and "style "than into engine and suspension

its just crazy to think that EBR/Hero can make the same power with half the engine. IF the dyno numbers are correct that is
    Last edited by styxnpicks; 01-30-2014 at 07:43 PM.
    Buell XBlast: NRHS Xb Stage 2 lite, 515 10.5:1, .551 cam, Daytona Twin 1005s-Ex, Vance Hines, Crossroads Fork Brace + Rearsets. Pirelli Rubber
    Buell XB9r: Race ECM/Muffler. K&N

CFM is horsepower; need more CFM? Rev it higher!. (Unless you're on a Harley; that would feel icky.)
    Torque is more closely related to displacement than horsepower is. It's like cars in the 80's: torque creates the sensation of speed, power is sneaky in that it means more in terms of acceleration.
    So I'm sure the HD engine has lots of torque, but it also has 60% more bike to push around.
    And you can't replace the Iconic Sportster! Oh No! It hasn't been sporty in 40 years, and it has become a rolling joke, honestly; World's Worst performance bang-for-your-buck.
    Just realized this HD engine is rated at less than a Blast. What the fuck...
    Last edited by Wrongway; 01-30-2014 at 08:16 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wrongway For This Useful Post:

ezblast (01-31-2014),Jet-Lee (01-31-2014)

A hi comp big bore kit to bring it to 450cc, strip excess plastic,passenger pegs, etc and your dropping to 280lbs, easily upgrade the front suspension using the same stuff as for the Blast, some galfer pads, the brakes are 3 piston - already strongest in class by one more piston and already runs a ss braided line - stock already same power/torque as a Blast minus 80+ pounds, with the right hot-rodding and fi tuning - the potential really is awesome. Some forget HD's early 250cc bike and how folks bored and tuned that puppy to 60 plus, this bike has way more potential than that one.
    EZ

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ezblast For This Useful Post:

RayDog26 (01-31-2014)

The Boss
    (Admin)

Quote Originally Posted by Wrongway View Post
    Just realized this HD engine is rated at less than a Blast. What the fuck...
    Been waiting for that this whole thread.
    Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:
    2003 Blast (Mothballs)
    2001 Blast (Rat Blastard)
    2007 XB9R (Master Chief)

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jet-Lee For This Useful Post:

piratius (01-31-2014),RayDog26 (01-31-2014)

The problem I see with a big-bore kit is that it isn't HD architecture; it isn't a sleeved down 450. It's already Extremely over-square at 81mm x 48.5mm, and the way most new engines are constructed, they don't leave much excess material for things like this. Are you really willing to split the cases on a brand new bike for a stroker crank? It might void the warrantee...

On the bright side, I'll bet this thing makes an NC-17 noise. With that bore x stroke figure, I'll bet it revs out to 10k easily.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like peak power is at 9000rpm and it's BHP, so it makes more HP than the Blast and about the same torque, meaning the engine yields around 125% volumetric efficiency. Batshit insane for a production bike. Also, it should be $3,300-4,000 depending on import costs and whether you opt for the ABS. And with a wheelbase of just under 54", it should handle very well.

- - - Updated - - -

Do a breather reroute, a muffler mod/swap, and a freer flowing filter and/or airbox mod... 35hp doesn't seem out of reach... But how would we tune it? I'm sure it's already stupid lean for emissions. As for suspension, I'm sure it could use stiffer spring rates at the very least.
    Last edited by Wrongway; 01-31-2014 at 01:04 PM.

exhaust swap will be very key, cams might help squeeze some more hp at the expense of tq, headwork might help too specially if the valves are heavily shrouded. increase compression if its not already stupid high. but really the engine design in the EBR/Hero bike seems like its already nearing the limit of what you can get out of a 250cc NA motor on pump gas. I'd venture to guess that you might be able to sqeeze a .020 overbore for an extra 5cc but a stroker isn't gonna be worth it... what will be is the possiblity of winding the motor out to 12500-13000. stiffer valve springs, hotter cams, race pipe and tuning can easily turn this motor wild
    Buell XBlast: NRHS Xb Stage 2 lite, 515 10.5:1, .551 cam, Daytona Twin 1005s-Ex, Vance Hines, Crossroads Fork Brace + Rearsets. Pirelli Rubber

Tuning is the hard part. Shit, a Li-Ion battery would put you under 300lbs. And remember, this thing is CHEAP. No carbon, no magnesium. I'll bet after a full-race-diet these things get down to 275 wet.

And even with many race series adopting the Ninja 300 (and soon CBR300R) these would still dominate, assuming there isn't a weight penalty.

Then there's the new Yamaha 250 twin... Maybe they will roll out a close competitor to this?

now if only it came in a 66hp 12000rpm 500cc version. I'd jump on it

It's nice but realistically I'm not gonna take on a bike note for something really isn't much faster than my blast right now .. I rather stick to my original plan of getting a note on a cruiser (been liking the honda f6b) and keeping my paid for blast for the back road romps .. But if I had to choose between the two I would take the hero.. HD let people down with that 500..
    2002 blast..
    Just click my name for photos

thumper FAQ

My Youtube Page