Thread:

Default Hammer 510cc Kit and Headwork review

For those who don't know (or won't see the thread in the troubleshooting section), I was having some weird issues with my bike. I called Dan at Hammer, and he spent about 30 minutes with me on the phone, helping me figure out what the heck was going on - he didn't pressure me to buy any particular parts, just let me know what my options were and made a few recommendations. Long story short, I needed a new higher compression piston to bring the motor's compression back up to appropriate levels to compensate for the bigger cam and ported head. I decided to send in the head at the same time, just to verify the work that had been done and let him match the piston to the head.

There was a bit of a wait (he was backlogged with work, which has since been resolved as Hammer hired additional help), but it was worth it. Getting the pieces back was like Christmas, and everything looked AMAZING. Dan did a little machine work on the head (re-cutting the squish band for a 3.563" bore) along with time-serting the spark plug hole and checking/doing a valve job. The new piston & jug fit perfectly (minor trimming of the pushrod cover, but that's normal from what I've heard). Hammer will even gap the rings and install the piston into the jug for you for a few bucks extra - a step I took since I didn't feel like messing around with gapping rings in my garage - I wanted my bike back together quicker than I felt I could do it!

The bike runs amazingly now - no more hanging idle, no more sputtering. There is still some tuning to be done (I'm running it rich during break-in to keep the temps down), but the bike is a lot more responsive and has a bunch more grunt. If you need someone to do machine work on your bike, these guys are awesome, and their prices are great too!
    Last edited by piratius; 05-31-2014 at 04:28 AM.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to piratius For This Useful Post:

Blast_Heater (07-28-2013),dbest1a (07-13-2013),ezblast (07-11-2013),ghostedrider (07-11-2013),Jet-Lee (07-11-2013),stang181 (02-02-2014),Wrongway (07-12-2013)

Here's an update with LONG overdue pictures!

I don't know the weight of the new piston, as it was pre-installed in the jug and I didn't get a chance. But, judging that the wrist pin alone was 25% lighter, I'm betting the piston will be similar. It shakes a whole lot less up top now!
    -Brad

EDIT: After browsing Hammer's website ( www.hammerperf.com ), it looks like their piston weighs about 304g. Compare that to 433g for the stock piston - again, a weight saving of over 25%!

Stock piston & wrist pin are about 540 grams together. Hammer's piston and wrist pin are 380 grams. 540g divided by 380g gives ~1.42 - showing that the hammer stuff is over 40% lighter than stock. This is why you can rev the motors higher, and not have them come apart!
    Last edited by piratius; 02-01-2014 at 05:08 PM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to piratius For This Useful Post:

ezblast (02-01-2014),stang181 (02-02-2014),Thumpe (02-02-2014),vicenzajay (04-06-2014)

I'd weigh my new one, but I don't have a cool scale like that one - nice - it is always good to start with quality parts.
    EZ

The scale was an el-cheapo harbor freight dealio that I use for measuring epoxy!

-B

Hey guys just asking for an opinion. I have bought a lot of stuff for next years riding season. I bought dan's custom air intake and jets, I bought a Daytona twintec 1005 ignition. I bought a revolution performance 515cc Bolt on piston and cylinder. Now I am getting a quote for a B70 cam and head work from Hammer performance because I tried to get one from revolution performance for about a week now and nothing. So this is what a got from Hammer and I think it is a great deal.

B70 cam set (if it can be located as they said it has been discontinued) 1

Beehive valve spring Kit (5/16 Valves)
    600 Lift , with locks, lower collars and retainers .5

Viton seal 5/16" x .531 2

Clean head, Lap valves, install new springs and guide seals,
    shim springs to height, verify travel is good for B70 cams above 1

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just wanted to make sure that I am not missing anything that would cause my engine to fail prematurely and this would be using my stock 2007 buell blast head. I have been reading endlessly on this forum to gather as much info as I can.

Thanks for all the help.

B70 and SE536 are sort of similar profiles, though the SE536 cost more since it only comes in a twin config., aka a hundred bucks more, sounds good and economical, slightly larger intake valve could pay off, otherwise it is a good selection.
    EZ

The Boss
    (Admin)

Cam comparison of Stock vs Andrews vs SE

Cam Valve Open/Close Duration Max Valve Lift Valve Lift at TDC
    STOCK --- --- --- --- ---
    Blast Intake 10/26 215 .475 .073
    Exhaust 39/11 230 .475 .080
    XB Intake 25/44 249 .551 .192
    Exhaust 59/10 249 .551 .122
    ANDREWS --- --- --- --- ---
    B50 Intake 16/32 228 .498 .163
    (bolt-in) Exhaust 43/15 238 .498 .146
    B70 Intake 22/38 240 .530 .191
    (street/strip) Exhaust 48/20 248 .530 .156
    SCREAMIN' EAGLE --- --- --- --- ---
    SE-536 Intake 26/50 256 .536 .209
    Exhaust 55/30 266 .536 .236
    SE-551 Intake 25/44 249 .551 .192
    (high torque) Exhaust 59/10 249 .551 .122

B70 vs SE-536 are two completely different animals due to duration difference. B70 is a closer match to the SE-551/XB except for the timing on the exhaust, which makes it completely different acting as well.
    Click here to enlarge
    Left to Right:
    2003 Blast (Mothballs)
    2001 Blast (Rat Blastard)
    2007 XB9R (Master Chief)

Do you like the forum? Do you appreciate the input and community support? Consider donating to help keep us alive and growing! Click here to donate!
    Like us on Facebook!

I said - " sort of similar profiles" and what I meant by that is that is how they both delivered a bit more power than the stock SE551 - the 536 builds power down low though then brings it all the way up, while the B70 is more of a street/strip cam with a serious kick starting at 3500rpms all the way to 7400 and then only a slight tapering off - like the 536, while there is a sharper tapering off of the 551 at 7600 - which is why on a stock XB9 the 551 feels strong all the way to its 7500 redline. the 536 is a more performance oriented cam like the B70 even with the less final lift, but ratio rockers with either would overcome that deficit and add even a bit more power - so what I was really alluding to was both are performance cams.
    Also I would add a bit bigger intake valve would be good while leaving the exhaust size alone would be even better - performance wise.
    EZ

BRO Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Jet-Lee View Post

B70 vs SE-536 are two completely different animals due to duration difference. B70 is a closer match to the SE-551/XB except for the timing on the exhaust, which makes it completely different acting as well.
    This is absolutely correct.

The .536 grind has a 50 degree intake close event vs. the 38 degree timing of the B70's. That puts the rpm range really significantly higher. It also has major implications on the compression.

The .536 also has 56 degrees of overlap vs. 44 on the B70's. This gives the exhaust system quite a bit more influence on the cylinder fill, making it that much more critical. It also has implications on optimal valve and port sizes. And it causes much different TDC lift numbers, which is critical on the long rod Blast motor.

Bottom line, those two grinds are pretty far apart. Two totally different animals.

The main thing to know about cam selection for a Blast, as compared with the 1200, is the extreme R/S ratio and the smaller displacement both have major implications on the optimal cam timing. So be very, very careful using cams made for a 1200 in a Blast; many of them will make the motor run poorly and/or cause you other issues such as piston to valve clearance problems. I've seen it over and over with the Blast. There are good reasons behind HD choosing the "W" grind, good reasons behind the numbers Andrews chose for the B50's and B70's, and good reasons behind the numbers on the "E" cams, which pretty much split the difference to work well in both XB motors.

I'm not saying the 536's can't be made to work; they most certainly can. But you better prepare the head properly around them, and set the CR appropriately as well. It's all a matched set. There's a science behind the matching.

Oh, and just an FYI, a stock Blast head will nose over on the flow bench well before .500 lift. By nose-over, I mean you reach the point where opening the valve farther doesn't cause any more flow to happen. The valve is far enough out of the way at that point that it's no longer the thing constraining the flow.